Changing firms/jobs - do grades matter after you've practised?

Gandalf

Gandalf
  • Lawyer

If you've had experience as a lawyer for a couple years, and a superior job opportunity arises or you need to move to another city, do your grades matter at all at this stage? In other words, is it common for hiring firms to still ask for law school transcripts and factor in your grades after you've had concrete work experience as a lawyer several years out of law school?

Edited by Gandalf

Louis St. Laurent
  • Lawyer

I don't know how much grades are weighed against other factors, but for what it's worth, every job posting I've seen looking for a 2-5 year call requires transcripts along with resume/cover letter. A lot of the postings have "excellent academic credentials" or something similar as a requirement as well. 

• Like 1

Conge
  • Lawyer

In my personal experience, they did not matter after 2L. I've worked at one firm and in the legal departments of three large companies. After I worked at the firm for a few years, each of the companies were more interested in whether I could "hit the ground running" and would fit with the culture of the company.

However, I suspect I'm an outlier because I've certainly seen advertisements that request transcripts. It makes sense to me that an employer would at least want to know how you did in law school if you're a junior lawyer, even if it's just a soft factor after relevant experience and fit. 

• Like 1

disgruntledpelican
  • Lawyer

I have never been asked to present a transcript for in-house positions.

Firms may request them, most often when you're applying to them. If a recruiter approaches you, it may not be required. And just because they require you submit them, it may be a soft or inconsequential factor in the end. In my case and others I know hired as laterals, our grades might not have met the same expectations as the OCI/articling/new call recruits.

Homosapiens
  • Lawyer

I've been asked to provide a transcript after they extended the offer to me - I take it as more of a background check to make sure that you really did go to that law school and undergrad school.

• Lawyer

Only law firms ask for transcripts for lawyers with less than 5 years experience. You won't have to submit them for in-house and public sector jobs.

t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

I interviewed (and ultimately got) an in-house position after 4 years in private practice and they didn't ask about my transcript or grades. They were really only concerned with my experience and skillset. Come to think of it, my firm didn't even ask for my final transcript after third year.