What are my chances for Windsor Law?

futuremswjd

futuremswjd
  • Applicant

I’m starting my Master of Social Work at the University of Windsor this fall. I plan to apply to Windsor’s JD program next fall (for a start date in fall 2023). The MSW program is social justice focused and I believe will really help me be a better lawyer. On top of that, I will have two Practicums (450 hours each, total 900 hours) that will likely strengthen my applications. 

Throughout my undergraduate studies, I’ve done a significant amount of advocacy work and research that I will continue to do while studying in my MSW program. I self-published a series of children’s books on mental health and worked with a special education teacher to develop an educational curricula for teachers to discuss mental health in the classroom. I was recognized nationally and locally for my mental health advocacy with prestigious awards. I’m also the Co-Chair of my city’s police board’s Mental Health and Addictions Panel and the Co-chair of a youth engagement committee. I currently have three research papers/projects in progress and by the time I apply for law school, I will have at least two co-authored publications. 

My cGPA is 3.2 due to medical issues and the fact that I failed math 3 times before finally passing with a 63 because I have a learning disability in math (I have medical documentation for the medical issues and a psychologist letter for the learning disability). However, my L2 GPA is a 3.87

I’m taking the August LSAT and am currently practice testing in the 153-156 range. I’m just wondering how possible/likely it is to get accepted to Windsor Law with an LSAT score in the 153-156 range, given my stats and community work? 

12 hours ago, futuremswjd said:

I’m starting my Master of Social Work at the University of Windsor this fall. I plan to apply to Windsor’s JD program next fall (for a start date in fall 2023). The MSW program is social justice focused and I believe will really help me be a better lawyer. On top of that, I will have two Practicums (450 hours each, total 900 hours) that will likely strengthen my applications. 

Throughout my undergraduate studies, I’ve done a significant amount of advocacy work and research that I will continue to do while studying in my MSW program. I self-published a series of children’s books on mental health and worked with a special education teacher to develop an educational curricula for teachers to discuss mental health in the classroom. I was recognized nationally and locally for my mental health advocacy with prestigious awards. I’m also the Co-Chair of my city’s police board’s Mental Health and Addictions Panel and the Co-chair of a youth engagement committee. I currently have three research papers/projects in progress and by the time I apply for law school, I will have at least two co-authored publications. 

My cGPA is 3.2 due to medical issues and the fact that I failed math 3 times before finally passing with a 63 because I have a learning disability in math (I have medical documentation for the medical issues and a psychologist letter for the learning disability). However, my L2 GPA is a 3.87

I’m taking the August LSAT and am currently practice testing in the 153-156 range. I’m just wondering how possible/likely it is to get accepted to Windsor Law with an LSAT score in the 153-156 range, given my stats and community work? 

Are you not interested in any other schools?

futuremswjd
  • Applicant

Hey LuckyCharm,

Thank you for your comment!

I’m really attached to attending Windsor for a few reasons.

- I love their social justice focus. I’m interested in disability rights law or family law. 
- I would love to work with Professor Tess Sheldon from Windsor Law. 

- Location: I’m settling down in Windsor for my Masters. Because of my medical condition, moving again and finding new supports all over again would be very difficult.

However, I am also open to Western (mainly because of the geographic location/close to family). 

Renerik
  • Law Student

I'd give it a coin flip. Windsor is holistic, but they still care about stats. Your CGPA is passable (albeit low) but combined with an LSAT in the low-mid 150s, your stats are not competitive. Saving grace is your L2 and extracurriculars. Make sure you weave a convincing narrative as to how those experiences will help you help the underserved when typing up your PS.

If you want to improve your odds, apply to Western and other schools too. I'd also recommend taking the LSAT again if you score in the mid 150s. 

Best of luck.

6 hours ago, futuremswjd said:

Hey LuckyCharm,

Thank you for your comment!

I’m really attached to attending Windsor for a few reasons.

- I love their social justice focus. I’m interested in disability rights law or family law. 
- I would love to work with Professor Tess Sheldon from Windsor Law. 

- Location: I’m settling down in Windsor for my Masters. Because of my medical condition, moving again and finding new supports all over again would be very difficult.

However, I am also open to Western (mainly because of the geographic location/close to family). 

Windsor is really hard to predict. If you can get 160+, Western is a better bet.

I suggest you hire a private tutor (some offer on-line tutoring) and get 160+

Are your GPA and L2 per OLSAS basis?

futuremswjd
  • Applicant
22 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

Windsor is really hard to predict. If you can get 160+, Western is a better bet.

I suggest you hire a private tutor (some offer on-line tutoring) and get 160+

Are your GPA and L2 per OLSAS basis?

Yes, my GPAs are according to OLSAS.