Forgot to send thank you email after MAG interview - advice?

Garfield

Garfield
  • Articling Student

Forgot to send a thank you email after a MAG interview. Now it’s 1:42am the next day. Do I send one in the morning or just forget about it (because it will draw attention to the fact that I forgot?) and hope for the best? 

Obviously kicking myself for making such a silly mistake. Any advice would be appreciated.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I don't work for MAG, but I would be shocked if thank you notes were even a marginal consideration for government employers. 

• Like 1

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I don't work for MAG, but I would be shocked if thank you notes were even a marginal consideration for government employers. 

I actually did send thank you emails for government competitions but found it to be a rather useless exercise. The system for hiring is quite different and less focused on these minor niceties. I had one interview where I was explicitly told not to send a thank you email. But that was for a counsel position.

OP - if you do decide to send a thank you, do it tomorrow morning and not tonight. Something at - let's say 8 AM - seems planned over an email at 2 in the morning. 

• Like 2

Sureaboutnotbeingsure

I typically send thank you notes the following day. Is common practice to send them the same day?

disgruntledpelican
  • Lawyer

FWIW for my positions where I was a successful candidate, I did not send thank you e-mails. As an interviewer they had absolutely zero impact on my decision.

Prince
  • Applicant

I forgot to send a Thank You mail too after a MAG interview yesterday. But the problem now is that I have lost the notes where I wrote the names of people who interviewed me. They didn’t send their names upfront either. What do you guys suggest?

Sureaboutnotbeingsure

Do people send it the same day? Since when? 

4 minutes ago, Prince said:

I forgot to send a Thank You mail too after a MAG interview yesterday. But the problem now is that I have lost the notes where I wrote the names of people who interviewed me. They didn’t send their names upfront either. What do you guys suggest?

Kibitzer
  • Lawyer

In my experience, thank you emails for MAG are irrelevant. At the very most, the only thing I could see it being helpful for is if you do not get the job but they really liked you, perhaps it keeps an open line of communication for future opportunities. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, Sureaboutnotbeingsure said:

Do people send it the same day? Since when? 

I think thank you emails are a huge waste of time for most OCI employers. I don’t want to work at an employer that doesn’t want to work with me because I didn’t send some nonsense perfunctory note. 

But if you decide to send them during the formal recruits, you usually send them the day of your interview. 

• Thanks 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
35 minutes ago, Prince said:

Seems you are in the enviable position of the problem having taken care of itself. You're incapable of sending a thank you email, so now you don't have to.

• LOL 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I have never once paid significant attention to thank you emails I've gotten after interviewing. It's a courtesy as those things go, but not a necessary one and I'm never going to prejudice or praise a candidate for writing or not writing one. I don't mention it to the recruiters and by the time the emails come, I've already ranked and provided feedback on a candidate. You have to be a sociopath to go "I'm changing from a yea to a nay because the candidate didn't email me" and then actively follow up to change your initial assessment. You also have to be a sociopath just to even notice the email didn't come in! It's one thing to notice a thank you email you receive, it's quite another to recognize the absence of one. Especially if you're an important part of recruit (meaning you're interviewing many candidates).

The only time thank yous are memorable to me is when I see the timestamp and go "man that's a late night, poor kid", since they probably just cranked out 20 thank yous to 4-5 different firms at the end of a night following a dinner.

It can also be awkward, given the rules or my information or lack thereof on a candidate so I almost never reply.

• Like 2

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

The only time thank yous are memorable to me is when I see the timestamp and go "man that's a late night, poor kid", since they probably just cranked out 20 thank yous to 4-5 different firms at the end of a night following a dinner.

This is too real.

Prince
  • Applicant

Thanks guys for these responses. I can’t even imagine I forgot to send such mails. But mine is even different because I don’t even have their names. I really appreciate your responses. At least they make me feel better. 

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer

The only time the absence of a thank you email has been noteworthy to me, as an interviewer, is when my male interview partner received one and I did not.  That has happened on more than one occasion.  Otherwise, it makes no difference to me whether a candidate sends a thank you note. 

• Angry 1

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
10 minutes ago, PePeHalpert said:

The only time the absence of a thank you email has been noteworthy to me, as an interviewer, is when my male interview partner received one and I did not.  That has happened on more than one occasion.  Otherwise, it makes no difference to me whether a candidate sends a thank you note. 

By chance were you the associate or the partner? There was some terrible advice rolling around in the 2021 OCI cycle to only email the associate a thank you. It takes two more seconds to email all interviewers over just the one, I am curious if people actually followed it. 

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer
16 minutes ago, erin otoole said:

By chance were you the associate or the partner? There was some terrible advice rolling around in the 2021 OCI cycle to only email the associate a thank you. It takes two more seconds to email all interviewers over just the one, I am curious if people actually followed it. 

I was the associate, and typically paired with a male partner. 

• Like 1