Explain ILS to me pls

King of Queens

King of Queens
  • Law Student

So I noticed my section and classes were released today on Solus. I have heard some conflicting things about the ILS class. 

Is it true that the class is only once or twice a month and the tutorial is every other week?

Scrivener
  • Articling Student

That sounds roughly true to the schedule, yes... At least for the online experience I had. HOWEVER, there were also a slew of videos that we had to watch, which was essentially lecture in your own time. 

The class involves being told how to write/research in the legal fashion, making an attempt in an ungraded draft, getting thorough feedback on that draft, then being graded on the final product. 

The tutorials are generally led by practicing lawyers, and many students booked one-on-one appointments with them to discuss more in-depth how-to's. 

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Don’t waste your time on the videos and don’t buy the book! 

edit: I think tutorials were less frequent (mainly only around due dates) and the lectures were pretty useless as well, IMO. 

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Like 1

Ms. Sandman
  • Law Student
On 8/15/2021 at 6:25 PM, QueensDenning said:

Don’t waste your time on the videos and don’t buy the book! 

edit: I think tutorials were less frequent (mainly only around due dates) and the lectures were pretty useless as well, IMO. 

What makes you say that? Why weren’t they helpful to you? Just wondering as that sounds like it’s the bulk of the content. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

@Ms. SandmanI just found the class incredibly straightforward and repetitive. The lectures were a summary of the videos, which were a summary of what was covered in the book. The tutorials were what I found most helpful, where you can get the TA to look over your stuff and make sure your on the right track - and of course the grades/feedback you get on each assessment. Each assessment builds on the last, and idk maybe it's because i've done a lot of research and writing in the past but with minimal effort listening to the tutorials and lecture videos I never had any problems. Easy A for most of the people I worked with on the assessments throughout the year.

Edit: Idk why I said the tutorials were useless in my prior post. They were not. 

Edited by QueensDenning

Major_Agnostic
  • Articling Student

Tutorials must be attended, but the pre-recorded lectures were pretty useless. I wasn’t able to sit through more than two, still got an A-.