Solo Solicitor AMA

Mountebank

Mountebank
  • Lawyer
On 3/5/2023 at 6:13 AM, ltmaverick25 said:

I realize I'm coming into this a little bit late but I was curious if you could elaborate on why RBC has the worst reputation for lawyers, and why BMO / TD have better ones. I have no skin in the game yet, but I am strongly considering opening up my own practice when done law school, so every bit of insight helps.

Thanks

I just meant in terms of my local community and it largely has to do with the branch staffing situation. YMMV.

• 10 months later...
carlill
  • Lawyer

What health/dental insurance providers do solo practitioners use? I am looking at Lawyers Financial but wondering if any solos on here have any recommendations or firms to avoid.

Are there any advantages - in a firm of less than 5 practitioners - to having a small group plan?

Diplock
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, carlill said:

What health/dental insurance providers do solo practitioners use? I am looking at Lawyers Financial but wondering if any solos on here have any recommendations or firms to avoid.

Are there any advantages - in a firm of less than 5 practitioners - to having a small group plan?

I use the fact that my wife has a real job.

I know that's not really a useful answer. But there it is.

• Like 1

Most of the big insurers offer group benefits for small employers. My wife's mother runs a small business with 6ish full-time employees and they have a plan from Manulife.

• Thanks 1

Mountebank
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, carlill said:

I'm with Canada Life pretty much because the agent is a referral source. Although, I have no complaints with the coverage, cost, or service.

Best thing to do is talk to an agent and start out small because it's easy to expand coverage later (but pretty hard to take away benefits that staff are already enjoying). We basically have 80% coverage for drugs, dental, and paramedical. I have my own separate coverage for life, critical illness, and disability.

• Thanks 1