Jump to content

Federal Election Thread


CleanHands
 Share

Recommended Posts

CleanHands
  • Articling Student

No relevant thread yet; let me kick things off with this bafflingly, cringe-inducingly terrible ad:

This is what happens when people like Erin O'Toole try to meme with no understanding of online culture.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need a fear react on this forum. The greatest part is, somebody was paid to make this. Somebody who (probably) knows what they're doing (might've) decided to put minimal effort into the meme, (possibly) on the belief that their bosses is too internet-illiterate to notice. If they stole or requested a meme from some obscure stranger on the internet, that'd be even better.

Edited by efrefgg
elaborated.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

artsydork
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, CleanHands said:

No relevant thread yet; let me kick things off with this bafflingly, cringe-inducingly terrible ad:

This is what happens when people like Erin O'Toole try to meme with no understanding of online culture.

That's because youth, queens and those in the media industry refuse to help this dingbat. Worthy of /r/rightcantmeme

Besides, we all know that it's best to beat up a senator or play Among Us to be cool.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

Edited by artsydork
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, artsydork said:

play Among Us to be cool

400 000 thoughtbucks says 1 or more PM candidate is going to be called "sus" or "sussy Baka" by serious political figures and/or institutions at some point before the election.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, efrefgg said:

400 000 thoughtbucks says 1 or more PM candidate is going to be called "sus" or "sussy Baka" by serious political figures and/or institutions at some point before the election.

That'd still be more substantive than anything said in the leaders debates. 

  • LOL 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Barry
  • Law Student

I'm pretty sure even boomers are over the novelty of the face swap app at this point, and this was a campaign video??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Hm:

 

HM - concerts, bars, restaurants, public gatherings, schools, whatever - no risk. But an election? Super risky.

 

I think someone posted somewhere about what could explain the CPC's approach here. But aside from that, good to know the CPC are unprincipled cowards incapable of standing up to their base. Last time it was white supremacy and racism, now we can add anti-vaxx and anti-public health to the mix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pantalaimon
  • Articling Student

To be fair to the CPC, there was some polling that the vaccine hesitant & militant anti-vaxx largely hold the same party affiliations as the general population. And the Liberals were slow to come out pro-mandatory vaccination as well. All parties had a core of anti-vaxx, and all of them didn't want to offend their supporters.

The difference in my mind is the Liberals seem to be changing their tune, while the CPC seems firmly stuck.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer
13 hours ago, CleanHands said:

No relevant thread yet; let me kick things off with this bafflingly, cringe-inducingly terrible ad:

This is what happens when people like Erin O'Toole try to meme with no understanding of online culture.

What the hell did I just watch?!?! The only thing missing was an oompa loompa saying "nice hair though".

  • LOL 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TobyFlenderson
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Vizslaw said:

What the hell did I just watch?!?! The only thing missing was an oompa loompa saying "nice hair though".

Don’t give them any ideas!

  • LOL 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

realpseudonym
  • Lawyer
15 hours ago, CleanHands said:

No relevant thread yet; let me kick things off with this bafflingly, cringe-inducingly terrible ad:

This is what happens when people like Erin O'Toole try to meme with no understanding of online culture.

This caused me physical discomfort

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cringed without even hearing the sound, and never bothered to properly watch it. Just the "what a little girl" imagery made me nauseated. Girls are whiny and bad, okay CPC, whatever, shut up. 

A handful of Conservative MPs have publicly came out and said it was dumb (which it clearly was). It also shows such a lack of understanding of the Canadian political landscape and our voters. Most people are looking for someone mature to navigate through one of the most challenging periods in 100 years. The Liberals are much better positioned talent-wise to run a meme-based campaign, and chose to put out more of a "hope and change" themed [call it what it is] election ad: 

If the opening shots are indicative of how the campaigns will go, it's going to be a slaughter. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

happydude
  • Lawyer

The Conservative party is in complete shambles. That ad is brutal. Wow.

Trudeau is an arrogant, patronizing, and in my opinion also incompetent, hypocrite who - despite his virtue signaling - has a bigger rap sheet than most. Countless black-face incidents. Sexual assault allegations that he somehow is permitted to explain away as the victim "experiencing it differently", while the rest of the world gets canceled. Constant cabinet drama as he throws others under the bus. But the Conservatives still won't be able to take him down. Even as he calls a blatantly unnecessary election that most recognize is nothing more than a power grab. The election is right there for the taking. But the Conservatives are so out of touch with the social landscape it will be a blow out. They can't even pick a leader with an ounce of charisma, let alone get their policies straightened out. 

I'm actually pretty certain that, for most Canadians, the shine is gone from Trudeau and they view him negatively. But the alternatives are so unappealing he will stay in office. In a way, it's eerily reminiscent of the Harper years, when the roles were reversed, and he and the Conservatives were generally disliked, but voted in on multiple occasions thanks in no small part to opposing parties being unable to get their shit together or put forward a candidate with charisma (Dion, Ignatief).

Edited by happydude
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

To be fair to the CPC, there was some polling that the vaccine hesitant & militant anti-vaxx largely hold the same party affiliations as the general population. And the Liberals were slow to come out pro-mandatory vaccination as well. All parties had a core of anti-vaxx, and all of them didn't want to offend their supporters.

The difference in my mind is the Liberals seem to be changing their tune, while the CPC seems firmly stuck.

Uh the gulf between “mandatory vaccination” and “vaccination generally” isn’t that big but the gulf between those ane “anti-vaccination” is massive and only one party is embracing the latter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CleanHands
  • Articling Student
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, happydude said:

The Conservative party is in complete shambles. That ad is brutal. Wow.

Trudeau is an arrogant, patronizing, and in my opinion also incompetent, hypocrite who - despite his virtue signaling - has a bigger rap sheet than most. Countless black-face incidents. Sexual assault allegations that he somehow is permitted to explain away as the victim "experiencing it differently", while the rest of the world gets canceled. Constant cabinet drama as he throws others under the bus. But the Conservatives still won't be able to take him down. Even as he calls a blatantly unnecessary election that most recognize is nothing more than a power grab. The election is right there for the taking. But the Conservatives are so out of touch with the social landscape it will be a blow out. They can't even pick a leader with an ounce of charisma, let alone get their policies straightened out. 

I'm actually pretty certain that, for most Canadians, the shine is gone from Trudeau and they view him negatively. But the alternatives are so unappealing he will stay in office. In a way, it's eerily reminiscent of the Harper years, when the roles were reversed, and he and the Conservatives were generally disliked, but voted in on multiple occasions thanks in no small part to opposing parties being unable to get their shit together or put forward a candidate with charisma (Dion, Ignatief).

Totally agree with your analysis. It blew my mind how quickly the sexual assault allegation against Trudeau were brushed aside. And yes he fully embodies the nauseating sort of disingenuous and hypocritical Twitter "progressive" who is more concerned with being perceived as woke than actually doing anything positive (despite being in a position to enact meaningful change if he actually cared).

But yes the CPC is useless. I have a number of small-c conservative friends and essentially without exception they all think O'Toole and his people are buffoons and are all abstaining from voting as far as I have gleaned from them.

The funny thing is this terrible CPC ad implicitly even acknowledges how unappealing the CPC is with its "Trudeau is calling an election because he wants a majority" message. Which, first off, is obvious and not really much of a criticism (I have a low opinion of the electorate in general but even by those standards I doubt virtually anyone is stupid enough to not assume that parties will call elections tactically and not disadvantageously), but secondly it's basically saying "Trudeau and the LPC have done their homework and realize if there is an election now more people will vote for them and they will get more seats." I'm not sure how that admission is supposed to make people want to vote for the CPC.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps I just lack that instinctual hatred/distrust of marketing that natural selection has graced most of humanity with, but I found that Trudeau ad genuinely impressive. @happydude's comment snapped me out of it, but for a second there I almost liked the PM.

  • LOL 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

realpseudonym
  • Lawyer
22 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Totally agree with your analysis. It blew my mind how quickly the sexual assault allegation against Trudeau were brushed aside. And yes he fully embodies the nauseating sort of disingenuous and hypocritical Twitter "progressive" who is more concerned with being perceived as woke than actually doing anything positive (despite being in a position to enact meaningful change if he actually cared).

But yes the CPC is useless. I have a number of small-c conservative friends and essentially without exception they all think O'Toole and his people are buffoons and are all abstaining from voting as far as I have gleaned from them.

The funny thing is this terrible CPC ad implicitly even acknowledges how unappealing the CPC is with its "Trudeau is calling an election because he wants a majority" message. Which, first off, is obvious and not really much of a criticism (I have a low opinion of the electorate in general but even by those standards I doubt virtually anyone is stupid enough to not assume that parties will call elections tactically and not disadvantageously), but secondly it's basically saying "Trudeau and the LPC have done their homework and realize if there is an election now more people will vote for them and they will get more seats." I'm not sure how that admission is supposed to make people want to vote for the CPC.

I don’t know who it was, but I’ve heard someone propose replacing elections with the jury selection process. Which is both absurd and something I’m increasingly in favour of. Would 300ish random bozos really be any worse than a mishmash of social climbers and ideologues?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, realpseudonym said:

I don’t know who it was, but I’ve heard someone propose replacing elections with the jury selection process. Which is both absurd and something I’m increasingly in favour of. Would 300ish random bozos really be any worse than a mishmash of social climbers and ideologues?

I like it, except we'd never get anyone elected... or selected I suppose? I feel like whoever suggested that never had to sit through jury selection and hear the judge's blurb to each panel over and over again.

But I'm all for it! Bring on the panels of increasingly angry people pretending to have medical conditions or responsibilities they can't shirk. "Your Honour, my cat has ADHD and I really can't be away right now".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, efrefgg said:

Perhaps I just lack that instinctual hatred/distrust of marketing that natural selection has graced most of humanity with, but I found that Trudeau ad genuinely impressive. @happydude's comment snapped me out of it, but for a second there I almost liked the PM.

The ad fills you with the fuzzies about Canadians and Canada in general, and Trudeau is essentially borrowing the limelight. It's a great ad. 

I don't particularly care for Trudeau but I do appreciate that he (still) seems to have some competent people in his administration. I also don't want an election right now. But the only way O'Toole could've avoided that was to present an air of competence himself and shown an appealing vision for Canada (aside from ridiculous broad sweeping and potentially racist comments like "we have to take back Canada"). This current election is as much the CPC's fault as it is the Liberal Party's and the CPC would do the exact same thing if the situation were reversed. I think most Canadians understand this. Hitting Trudeau on election timing is a minor shot at best (even if it had been done non-idiotically). 

O'Toole needs to: 

  • appear capable  
  • appear trustworthy
  • appear likeable/authentic
  • present a promising vision for Canada (backed by concrete ideas) 
  • demonstrate leadership of, at minimum, his own party

The man's been in charge for almost a full year. How many of you have been convinced of any one of the above? 

Edited by kiamia
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.