Upper Year transfer to Canadian Law School?

honeybunches

honeybunches
  • Law Student

I am wondering if anyone knows anecdotally of people studying abroad transferring into Canadian law schools? 

I'd like to transfer next year as an upper year applicant. My 1L I got all A's, highly involved in Pro Bono, have a club leadership position and some summer law firm experience. Am I waisting money on applications or is it possible? 

12 hours ago, honeybunches said:

I am wondering if anyone knows anecdotally of people studying abroad transferring into Canadian law schools? 

I'd like to transfer next year as an upper year applicant. My 1L I got all A's, highly involved in Pro Bono, have a club leadership position and some summer law firm experience. Am I waisting money on applications or is it possible? 

You have completed 1L now?

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-dates/

May 1, 2021 (11:59 pm ET)

Deadline for applications to upper-year programs (English and French).

• Like 1

honeybunches
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, luckycharm said:

You have completed 1L now?

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-dates/

May 1, 2021 (11:59 pm ET)

Deadline for applications to upper-year programs (English and French).

Sorry I wasn't clear. I will be applying this fall for fall 2023, after my second year of law school.

I know a few schools will not consider me (UofT), but other schools have advanced standing entry after completing 2L. 

1 hour ago, honeybunches said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. I will be applying this fall for fall 2023, after my second year of law school.

I know a few schools will not consider me (UofT), but other schools have advanced standing entry after completing 2L. 

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/upper-year-exchange-applicants/transfer-letter-permission-applicants/

You are NOT a transfer student then.

For Osgoode , you will be considered as a "Letter of Permission Applicants"

You mentioned you got all A in 1L. That means you will be 2L starting this Sept 2021. Will you not complete 2L by Jun 2022 ?

Why don't you apply next May 2022 for Sept 2022 instead? (and not for Sept 2023) 

Even if you are accepted by a Canadian law school and received the  permission from your current law school, your degree will still be from your current law and not from your Canadian  school. 

BondGuy
  • Lawyer
On 8/15/2021 at 8:02 PM, luckycharm said:

Is that the case? Are they exclusive? I see "may" apply in letter of permission and "a minimum" of "one year" in the normal transfer process. 

My recollection is hazy, but I seem to remember people transferring from Bond mid way through "2L" and then getting their degrees from Canadian schools - Windsor and Queens if I remember right. 

6 minutes ago, BondGuy said:

Is that the case? Are they exclusive? I see "may" apply in letter of permission and "a minimum" of "one year" in the normal transfer process. 

My recollection is hazy, but I seem to remember people transferring from Bond mid way through "2L" and then getting their degrees from Canadian schools - Windsor and Queens if I remember right. 

1L transfer to 2 L then your degree will be from the Canadian school.

You should have applied before May 1, 2021

BondGuy
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

1L transfer to 2 L then your degree will be from the Canadian school.

You should have applied before May 1, 2021

Not OP. I've been in practice for years. 

Same for UWO - just looks like they will stick you into 2L unless you apply with a letter of permission: https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/admissions_FAQ/upperyear_applicants_from_within_and_outside_of_canada.html

I'd imagine you can have some of your legal studies just disregarded. I'd advise OP to contact the admissions office in question as the guidance seems a bit ambiguous. 

Edited by BondGuy

honeybunches
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, BondGuy said:

Not OP. I've been in practice for years. 

Same for UWO - just looks like they will stick you into 2L unless you apply with a letter of permission: https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/admissions_FAQ/upperyear_applicants_from_within_and_outside_of_canada.html

I'd imagine you can have some of your legal studies just disregarded. I'd advise OP to contact the admissions office in question as the guidance seems a bit ambiguous. 

Hey there! thank you very much for your reply. I've contacted a number of schools and they do have an advanced standing option for people who have finished their degree abroad. 

I was interested in seeing if anyone had transferred/knew people who had and their experiences.  

BondGuy
  • Lawyer
On 8/17/2021 at 7:52 PM, honeybunches said:

I was interested in seeing if anyone had transferred/knew people who had and their experiences.  

I can’t speak to the actual transfer process, but I know a few who did it from my school.  They work in good positions now - MAG, big law.  It worked for them.  

They graduated a full year after I did, but in the grander scheme of things that doesn’t matter all that much.  

good luck!