Chances with no ECs?

legallynotblondee

legallynotblondee
  • Law Student

Hey everyone! 
just trying to prepare for the next cycle after being unsuccessful last year. 
i have really no ECs or anything like that for my application, mostly because I’ve always had to work full time (nothing law related as far as my jobs) ! My stats are 3.57L2 and 162 LSAT. I know U of C is known for being holistic, but I’m wondering if it is worth applying based on my stats alone. 

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

When people say "no ECs" I throw up in my mouth a little. The whole EC industry sickens me. You know what I did in high school? I worked a part time job to pay for my upcoming tuition. During the summer's of undergrad, I upgraded that to full time work. I didn't have time to waste volunteering at my aunts law firm, go Africa to build a well on some voluntourism trip, nor did I get to travel Europe. 

But guess what LegallynotBlondee, always having to work is an EC, the great irony. You working at Tims (or anywhere other than a law firm) through undergrad is a more useful "EC" than the rich kid that built schools in Haiti, you learned the value for money and developed excellent transferable skills. Are the law related? No, but they are much more valuable, a kid that photocopied at a law firm in undergrad didn't learn shit, nor was it a useful experience. 

I'm sorry you did not get in, you have ok stats, keep working maybe bump up your LSAT. Don't worry about you ECs, most kids lie about them anyways. Obvious disclaimer I did not go to Calgary, but applicants always overstate the importance of their ECs. 

• Like 5

GGrievous
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, erin otoole said:

You working at Tims (or anywhere other than a law firm) through undergrad is a more useful "EC" than the rich kid that built schools in Haiti,

Yeah but did you get a facebook profile pic with a bunch of orphans at Tim's? 

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, Barry said:

Yeah but did you get a facebook profile pic with a bunch of orphans at Tim's? 

My part time job in high school actually did have an orphan day for some god forsaken reason. The entire shift was an out of body experience for me, I double checked on the company's Facebook and there is a picture of me smiling with the orphans.

Does that count? 

Edited by erin otoole
  • Like 1

EmplawmentLaw
  • Law Student

Your job at Tim Hortons signals that you are a responsible person with transferable skills (e.g. client service, working under pressure, etc). If there's a written statement in your application, make sure to talk about this experience while framing it accordingly. 

Good luck!

Edited by EmplawmentLaw
  • Like 1

lawfacade123
  • Law Student

I didn't have any ECs from undergrad or volunteering afterwards either. I had a few years of work experience. It was daunting to leave the EC page of UofC's application blank, but I still received an offer anyways. I wouldn't stress too much about that. 

• Like 1

legallynotblondee
  • Law Student
46 minutes ago, lawfacade123 said:

I didn't have any ECs from undergrad or volunteering afterwards either. I had a few years of work experience. It was daunting to leave the EC page of UofC's application blank, but I still received an offer anyways. I wouldn't stress too much about that. 

Thank you! I didn’t apply before for this reason but I appreciate yours and everyone else’s insight. 

20 hours ago, erin otoole said:

When people say "no ECs" I throw up in my mouth a little. The whole EC industry sickens me. You know what I did in high school? I worked a part time job to pay for my upcoming tuition. During the summer's of undergrad, I upgraded that to full time work. I didn't have time to waste volunteering at my aunts law firm, go Africa to build a well on some voluntourism trip, nor did I get to travel Europe. 

But guess what LegallynotBlondee, always having to work is an EC, the great irony. You working at Tims (or anywhere other than a law firm) through undergrad is a more useful "EC" than the rich kid that built schools in Haiti, you learned the value for money and developed excellent transferable skills. Are the law related? No, but they are much more valuable, a kid that photocopied at a law firm in undergrad didn't learn shit, nor was it a useful experience. 

I'm sorry you did not get in, you have ok stats, keep working maybe bump up your LSAT. Don't worry about you ECs, most kids lie about them anyways. Obvious disclaimer I did not go to Calgary, but applicants always overstate the importance of their ECs. 

Thanks for this. I appreciate your perspective! 

DanaeOkay
  • Law Student

I got into UCalgary this past cycle with pretty limited ECs! I think the most important thing when applying is to develop a really cohesive narrative about why you want to go to (each specific) law school and why you will succeed. Try to weave your education, employment, and other life experiences into this narrative. Like another person noted, your job likely taught you some valuable skills (whether or not your job had anything to do with the law, mine definitely didn't!), so really think about what those are and how they set you apart/are transferable to life as a law student/lawyer. Best of luck!

• Like 1