Personal Statement

CuriousLad

CuriousLad
  • Undergrad

This may be an odd question, but it is unwise to use less than the maximum character and/or word count on personal statements?

I will apply in the next cycle, but I figured I would start writing statements for those schools that have pretty broad instructions. Better early than late haha.

This post has some law-school-admissions-are-a-mysterious-black-box thinking, which is understandable, but rarely logical.

Think about this rationally.

Admissions decisions are made by people.

You are, yourself, people. (I assume.)

If you asked for a statement with a maximum of 1,000 words, would you reject someone for sending you 997 words?

If you would not do that, why do you think someone else might do that?

• Like 1

englishmajor
  • Law Student

This is a pretty general statement, but brevity and the ability to get your point across in a clear and concise manner is a valued skill in law and especially in law school. 

If you can write something in 700 words that is as good or better than the person who requires the full 1000 it will generally be looked upon favourably. 

tobi
  • Law School Admit
6 hours ago, CuriousLad said:

This may be an odd question, but it is unwise to use less than the maximum character and/or word count on personal statements?

I will apply in the next cycle, but I figured I would start writing statements for those schools that have pretty broad instructions. Better early than late haha.

I'm going to assume you're applying to Ontario schools since I see you've asked about OLSAS at some of your posts.

I used less than the maximum character count on my OLSAS personal statements because.. the box is a lie. They double count some spaces and some symbols? I'm not 100% sure what happens there but OLSAS just works that way. My google sheets would say I have 1950 characters and then I paste it on the OLSAS box and it'll say I'm at 2006 characters. Yeah, I don't know why that happened.

So, for OLSAS submissions, my advice is to underwrite by 100 characters. If it says you have 2000 characters, aim to write around 1900 characters. Once you paste it on the OLSAS box, you'll see that it'll be around 1950 or so. If you want to get it to 2000, go for it - but I doubt it really matters at that point, since you were already able to write concisely with the 1900 characters. From my experience last year, it's easier to add characters than to remove characters. 

Good luck with writing your personal statements!

Edited by tobi
  • Like 1