Second Job

lawesome

lawesome
  • Articling Student

Hi everyone! Does anyone have experience articling with the government and serving as a second job? I imagine this would require the employer's approval (and potentially the LSO's), but I am worried that accepting gratuities might give rise to the appearance of a conflict of interest.

I would love to hear if anyone has been in this position before, as I would like to keep one or two serving shifts a week to make some extra money, but don't want to risk anything or bother reaching out to the right people if it'll get shot down.

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

I assume you have not yet started your government job, and it's probably safe to assume you work regular day shifts.

If I were you, I would start planning contingencies. Tell your boss that you serve for that you may have to give up all your shifts. Within your first week or two, mention that your boss at the government job that you work a serving job at night and ask if that's OK. Do it in an email so you have a written record.

I suspect the whole thing will be a moot point soon since you'll be tired from your day job and not want to serve tables.