Chances? L2 3.7 LSAT 157

APPsolutely_Nervous

APPsolutely_Nervous
  • Applicant

Hey! I know I'm not a slam dunk but I was wondering what my chances would be for Schulich law? It's one of my top choices.  

Also anyone know how many offers go out? The accepted threads from the previous site don't look representative of the whole.  

Currently working and have two years of pretty interesting work experience (putting it out there in case Schulich would see that as an offsetting factor for the weak LSAT). Have other EC's, but they're just softs so I won't get into it.  

TIA!! 🙂 

Edited by APPsolutely_Nervous

Skier41
  • Law Student

Softs only make the difference when applicants have similar stats. Your personal statement will be critical no matter what, but with a 157, your chances are quite low. You can apply this year and hope for the best but if you rewrite the LSAT and get a 160+, you'll have a good chance. Good luck! 

• Like 1

APPsolutely_Nervous
  • Applicant

@CheeseToast  @Skier41

Thank you! 🙂 I appreciate the input a lot.  

I don't feel comfortable asking my professors to write me a letter year over year and I'm already working so I'd much rather take my time to improve my stats and take one shot when the odds are more favourable.  

Skier41
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, APPsolutely_Nervous said:

@CheeseToast  @Skier41

Thank you! 🙂 I appreciate the input a lot.  

I don't feel comfortable asking my professors to write me a letter year over year and I'm already working so I'd much rather take my time to improve my stats and take one shot when the odds are more favourable.  

Also, it depends on where you’re applying. A 157 is generally low for most schools but it may get you into some. However, if you’re looking solely at Dal, I would definitely aim for a 162-165 and then you should have a good chance of getting a seat, otherwise you may want to consider applying more broadly. 

APPsolutely_Nervous
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, Skier41 said:

Also, it depends on where you’re applying. A 157 is generally low for most schools but it may get you into some. However, if you’re looking solely at Dal, I would definitely aim for a 162-165 and then you should have a good chance of getting a seat, otherwise you may want to consider applying more broadly. 

Thanks! While Dal is one of my favs I'm looking at some Ontario schools like uOttawa, Windsor, and RU.  What I'm really thinking about is the tradeoff between delaying my plans by one year to get a better LSAT, and applying this year then re-writing the LSAT later (bearing in mind that rushing it could potentially lead to another subpar score resulting in unfavourable admissions outcomes).  

Renerik
  • Law Student

There's no reason you can't apply this year as well as the next in case you come up short. Not wanting to bother professors a second time for a letter of reference isn't a proper excuse. Let them know you might apply next year and they'll save a copy for if you come around a second time. 

If I were in your shoes I'd apply this year and start studying for the November LSAT. You're not starting from zero, two and a half months should be enough for a considerable jump in score. I'm sure you can find an hour a day 3-4 times a week to do a timed section and review even if you're working full time.

devgru
  • Articling Student
On 8/19/2021 at 3:32 PM, APPsolutely_Nervous said:

Thanks! While Dal is one of my favs I'm looking at some Ontario schools like uOttawa, Windsor, and RU.  What I'm really thinking about is the tradeoff between delaying my plans by one year to get a better LSAT, and applying this year then re-writing the LSAT later (bearing in mind that rushing it could potentially lead to another subpar score resulting in unfavourable admissions outcomes).  

I got in with a 3.7 L2 and 157 LSAT at the University of Alberta. You might want to consider adding that to your list. 

Edited by devgru

• 1 month later...
Timmy23
  • Applicant
12 hours ago, 71ember said:

hi!! Current 1L at Dal here. My highest LSAT was 157 and my GPA was about 3.85ish. Don't count yourself out yet. 🙂

Are you a Nova Scotia/Maritime resident?

On 10/1/2021 at 1:11 AM, Timmy23 said:

Are you a Nova Scotia/Maritime resident?

Atlantic resident, not NS 🙂

Edited by 71ember