4.33 scale

mikgbs33

hi everyone,  I am in my 3rd year studying business at sfu (in BC). The school grades on a 4.33 scale with only letter grades. Will I be at a big disadvantage when applying to schools here and in quebec? (i spent 17 years in Montreal)

I have applied to UBC to study business as my first choice and arts as my second. I have been admitted to arts and waiting on the result for business. I am considering changing schools to avoid the grading methods used at sfu. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Are you transferring between undergraduate programs and if so are you concerned about which will better position you to apply to law school?

I don't think any of the GPA scales will be a determinative factor in an application to law school if that's what this question pertains to. Ontario schools attempt to equalize between different schools (you can google the OLSAS conversion chart) and I would assume most other schools have a similar process in place.

GreyDude
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, mikgbs33 said:

hi everyone,  I am in my 3rd year studying business at sfu (in BC). The school grades on a 4.33 scale with only letter grades. Will I be at a big disadvantage when applying to schools here and in quebec? (i spent 17 years in Montreal)

I don’t think you should worry about it. Law schools will just convert your grades to their preferred scales using a formula. As an aside, since you mentioned Quebec schools, UQAM and Université Laval both grade on a 4.33 scale, at least in their non-law programs (so I imagine their law schools also do so).

2 hours ago, HammurabiTime said:

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Are you transferring between undergraduate programs and if so are you concerned about which will better position you to apply to law school?

I don't think any of the GPA scales will be a determinative factor in an application to law school if that's what this question pertains to. Ontario schools attempt to equalize between different schools (you can google the OLSAS conversion chart) and I would assume most other schools have a similar process in place.

yes im considering transferring between undergrad programs.
oh ok thanks!

1 hour ago, GreyDude said:

I don’t think you should worry about it. Law schools will just convert your grades to their preferred scales using a formula. As an aside, since you mentioned Quebec schools, UQAM and Université Laval both grade on a 4.33 scale, at least in their non-law programs (so I imagine their law schools also do so).

Ok that makes sense. Thanks!