Intent to Interview Emails

moonfox19

moonfox19
  • Law Student

Anyone have any idea which firms send out intent to interview emails for the Toronto 2L recruit?

hiya
  • Articling Student

hiya! from what i understand, generally firms don't send out intent to interview emails to 2L students since they deal directly with law school offices. however, i've heard that some firms (only a small number of them) still do send out intent to interview emails a day before OCI Call Day.

would love to have someone who has gone through the process confirm this!  

EDIT: check out this thread! (i'm treating ITC as being interchangeable with intent to interview in this context since firms won't ever call us to schedule OCIs)

Edited by hiya

EmplawmentLaw
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, hiya said:

hiya! from what i understand, generally firms don't send out intent to interview emails to 2L students since they deal directly with law school offices. however, i've heard that some firms (only a small number of them) still do send out intent to interview emails a day before OCI Call Day.

would love to have someone who has gone through the process confirm this!  

At the pre-OCI stage of the process, you shouldn't be thinking about ITC emails. Every law student just waits until the date their school releases OCI schedules.

ITC emails only matter after OCIs are done and you're heading into the next stage of the process, which is the in-firm stage.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I have no clue how OCIs work nowadays, but I find it very weird that there’s such conflicting information on whether or not firms send out ITCs before the school releases the OCI schedule. See the comment made by @QMT20, who is usually very reliable, here:

Perhaps some firms send ITCs to particularly desirable candidates, which would explain why some are saying no firms send ITCs while QMT, who was a very desirable candidate, is saying they received some. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

EmplawmentLaw
  • Law Student
11 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I have no clue how OCIs work nowadays, but I find it very weird that there’s such conflicting information on whether or not firms send out ITCs before the school releases the OCI schedule. See the comment made by @QMT20, who is usually very reliable, here:

Perhaps some firms send ITCs to particularly desirable candidates, which would explain why some are saying no firms send ITCs while QMT, who was a very desirable candidate, is saying they received some. 

What meaningful value/edge would a firm get by sending ITC emails that early? 

Your "take" seems more like an obnoxious and thinly-veiled attempt at trying to unnecessarily put people down. Before you say it, I received ITCs from some of those firms mentioned.

• Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, EmplawmentLaw said:

What meaningful value/edge would a firm get by sending ITC emails that early? 

Your "take" seems more like an obnoxious and thinly-veiled attempt at trying to unnecessarily put people down. Before you say it, I received ITCs from some of those firms mentioned.

It wasn't a take, it was a possible explanation. If you have some other explanation for the conflicting information, you're welcome to share it. 

EmplawmentLaw
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

It wasn't a take, it was a possible explanation. If you have some other explanation for the conflicting information, you're welcome to share it. 

I think the better explanation is that the people in the “firms don’t send ITCs” category are being misinterpreted.

The question is whether firms send ITCs at the pre-OCI stage.

The people saying “no” are really saying “no, firms don’t send ITCs as a standard practice”, and therefore ITCs are so negligible at this stage that you're better off treating them as non-existent. The people saying “yes” are instead interpreting the question more literally, and then posting anecdotes about their experiences with the small handful of firms who do send ITCs.

The question students want answered is whether they should/shouldn’t be expecting ITCs. I still think the answer is "no", practically and effectively speaking, and given the negligible amount of firms sending ITCs at this stage of the process. Furthermore, even if a significant amount of firms did send out ITCs at this stage, I don't see how they'd have any value other than administrative.

Edited by EmplawmentLaw

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
10 minutes ago, EmplawmentLaw said:

I think the better explanation is that the people in the “firms don’t send ITCs” category are being misinterpreted.

The question is whether firms send ITCs at the pre-OCI stage.

The people saying “no” are really saying “no, firms don’t send ITCs as a standard practice”, and therefore ITCs are so negligible at this stage of the process that you're better off treating them as non-existent. The people saying “yes” are instead interpreting the question more literal, and then posting anecdotes about their experiences with the small handful of firms who do send ITCs.

The question students want answered is whether they should/shouldn’t be expecting ITCs. I still think the answer is "no", practically and effectively speaking, and given the negligible amount of firms sending ITCs at this stage of the process. Furthermore, even if a significant amount of firms did send out ITCs at this stage, I don't see how they'd have any value other than administrative.

Ah, I assumed you and the others that said firms don't sent ITCs ahead of OCIs meant that firms don't send ITCs ahead of OCIs, not that most firms don't send ITCs ahead of OCIs. I think that's why there was confusion in this thread and the others. 

I'm sure the students going through the process will appreciate the clarification. I was certainly confused, because there isn't normally conflicting information about this type of thing on these forums. Thanks 🙂 

12 hours ago, moonfox19 said:

Anyone have any idea which firms send out intent to interview emails for the Toronto 2L recruit?

If you look in the thread hiya linked, QMT20 said the following firms sent ITCs ahead of OCIs last year: Davies, Blakes, Goodmans, Fasken, Bennett Jones, and Lenczner.

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

QMT20
  • Lawyer
On 8/25/2021 at 1:17 AM, BlockedQuebecois said:

If you look in the thread hiya linked, QMT20 said the following firms sent ITCs ahead of OCIs last year: Davies, Blakes, Goodmans, Fasken, Bennett Jones, and Lenczner.

So just one thing to clarify, those firms sent ITCs before OCI in 2019. I'm actually not sure if they did so for the last cycle when recruitment took place back in January/February this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if some firms changed their practices for virtual recruit. 

On 8/24/2021 at 10:31 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

@BlockedQuebecois you're too kind for saying that but the truth is, I know for Blakes at least, all my friends who received OCIs from them in 2019 received ITCs on the same day (one day after Davies) so I'm sure they weren't playing favourites with candidates. 

• Like 1

Kid Presentable

For the 2021 summer recruit, firms that sent out "intent to interview" emails included Osler, Davies, Blakes, Goodmans, Gowlings, and Fasken. Firms that did not (or at least not to every student they interviewed) included BLG, McCarthys, Torys, Lenczner, Paliare, Miller Thomson, Bennett Jones, Stikeman Elliott, Norton Rose, and Cassels Brock.

• Like 3

samk554
  • Law Student

I heard some people have already received (for Summer 2022 Toronto recruit) ITC's and rejection letters...can anyone confirm?

goonersfc
  • Law Student

A friend got ITCs from Goodmans and Fasken -both last week. Another person I know got one from Stikeman few days ago.

lawstudent77
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, goonersfc said:

A friend got ITCs from Goodmans and Fasken -both last week. Another person I know got one from Stikeman few days ago.

Do the firms send all their ITCs at once or if you didn't get one can you still?

goonersfc
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, lawstudent77 said:

Do the firms send all their ITCs at once or if you didn't get one can you still?

I would say that it is very firm dependent. I know Goodmans doesn't send all at once, and I know about people who in the past have received a direct call from them on call day. I wouldn't be loosing my hope just yet.

lawstudent77
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, goonersfc said:

I would say that it is very firm dependent. I know Goodmans doesn't send all at once, and I know about people who in the past have received a direct call from them on call day. I wouldn't be loosing my hope just yet.

Also firms may send out ITCs by school since the OCIs are on different dates depending on the school 

• Like 1

nestlepurelife
  • Law Student
22 hours ago, goonersfc said:

Which school(s) do they attend if you don't mind?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, nestlepurelife said:

Which school(s) do they attend if you don't mind?

Unless someone works at one of those firms and is involved in their recruiting process, it’s going to be difficult for you to get a good answer to that question. 

Generally speaking, all of the major firms will conduct OCIs at U of T, Osgoode, Queens, and Western. Outside of those four, it’s a bit of a mishmash, with different schools recruiting at Ottawa and Windsor.

I’m completely ignorant of what recruiting is like at either Lakehead or Ryerson, but I imagine most firms participate in OCIs at Ryerson and don’t at Lakehead. 

Outside of Ontario, I know McGill and Dalhousie have a few Toronto firms fly out to them every year. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
9 minutes ago, ninax09 said:

Emails from Davies sent out to Ryerson students

Do you know if Davies conducts OCIs at Ryerson? I haven't yet read all the above replies, but I thought firms that do OCIs at each school tell the particular school which applicants they want to meet with (and then the school notifies the applicants). 

heinzketchem
  • Law Student
42 minutes ago, samk554 said:

Some Windsor students just got emails from Davies and Piper 

ITCs or PFOs?

mistertubby
  • Law Student

some UofT students have received "intend to interview" (I suppose thats different from an ITC) from Davies