Applying in the Discretionary Category

Brooke

Brooke
  • Applicant

Hey everyone,

I am applying to U of Vic for law school (and other law schools - Ontario/UBC) and I am not sure whether or not to apply as regular or discretionary. My grades during my undergraduate degree (first 2 years) are not that great and this is because I took care of my sick grandma (was in the hospital for 2 years). I wasn't her legal caretaker but more as a familial obligation because my parents/extended family all worked full-time and they needed help. This caused me to struggle in school because it was emotionally challenging and we shared a close bond.

If anyone can advise me that would be great! 

Thank you :)

Renerik
  • Law Student

Discretionary applicants are assessed along with everyone in the regular category. If they don't get in through regular admissions, their candidature is re-assessed for a discretionary seat. You essentially get a second shot at admissions. If you qualify, apply discretionary. There's little downside. 

According to UVIC, you qualify as a discretionary applicant:

image.png.ed98f383e4030a0ff2c6435bbb3fc11a.png

RIP-Joel
  • Law Student
On 8/24/2021 at 10:32 PM, Renerik said:

Discretionary applicants are assessed along with everyone in the regular category. If they don't get in through regular admissions, their candidature is re-assessed for a discretionary seat. You essentially get a second shot at admissions. If you qualify, apply discretionary. There's little downside. 

According to UVIC, you qualify as a discretionary applicant:

image.png.ed98f383e4030a0ff2c6435bbb3fc11a.png

What exactly falls under the "social, historic, political, economic or other factors?"

Renerik
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, MA1199 said:

What exactly falls under the "social, historic, political, economic or other factors?"

Being a political/wartime refugee or coming from abject poverty would be my guess. 

It's a catch-all clause for a broad spectrum of very niche circumstances. You can't claim "I was a conservative growing up in a liberal household" and expect the above to apply to you 😉.

• 3 weeks later...
Cpeaks
  • Applicant

@Renerikunfortunately this is not the case. I spoke with admissions today as I was also going to apply in discretionary. They only have about 10-13 spots in discretionary and you don't get put in the regular pool if you aren't competitive enough in that category. So you have an even smaller chance.  I had begun to  prepare my discretionary application, and am now having to rethink the whole thing. So stressful!

Also, would be a lot nicer if the medians were what they were 3 years ago lol