Asking as an 1l, any recommendations/advice on how to take these professors' courses?

zzzzzzzj

Hi Y'all

I've got the course info and the teaching professors and wanna know what their classes feel like in advance.

Any thread is helpful!!

Crim with Hamish Stewart

Tort with Christopher Essert

LRW with Daniella Murynka

And full year, small group contract law class with Fernandez

cherrytree
  • Lawyer

I've had Stewart and Essert as professors when they taught other courses in 1L, so I can't speak to Crim and Tort specifically. In terms of their teaching styles, Stewart is really nice and easy to talk to, the energy and passion he brings to class make it a good experience, but he does still have high expectations for students and may call on you to answer questions in class, so be prepared. He's a seasoned Crim prof and there should be a good number of past exams he's given that you can use to study. Know your Charter section 7 really well, he's written a whole book on it (as well as other Crim-related Charter sections, of course).

For Essert, in the before times when it was possible to run an entire course without any online components, he's done it, I'm not sure to what degree he has embraced online pedagogy this past school year but seeing that UofT is back in person fully this September, you can probably expect him to go back to his analog ways. He's a spirited teacher and always down to answer whatever questions you have during or after class, make sure to attend class and take good notes, stay on top of the materials. He's relatively new to UofT Law so there may not be as many practice exams you can use. Torts is not usually known as a readings heavy class in 1L but that doesn't mean it's easy peasy when it comes to wrapping your head around the myriad of concepts that go into negligence.

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

Fernandez will probably slip 1-2 animal rights cases into each unit. Take from that information what you will

Edited by Pecan Boy
  • Like 1

rightsoherewego

Stewart is really friendly and extremely organized. Even though the class isn't small group, he regularly asks the class to participate so I would recommend doing the readings ahead of time. He also doesn't look down on "stupid" questions, so feel free to ask when you don't understand something.

I haven't had Essert as a prof but I did some research work for him as an RA and he is also really friendly and wants his students to succeed.

Murynka is new this year I believe.