Big Law Salary Increase

Ivermectin4President

Hitman9172
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, theSquibandtheEye said:

I heard that Faskens confirmed a raise. Not sure if anyone can confirm or deny that.

My contacts at Fasken Vancouver said they have not heard anything. Perhaps it's been confirmed out east.

Himalaya
  • Lawyer
39 minutes ago, smokedsalmonisgreat said:

@Himalaya

if you don’t mind me asking what does the current Calgary office look like pay wise from articling onwards

I do not work there so I cannot fully confirm, but my understanding is that they are paying the Toronto scale referenced on the previous page of this thread, largely in an attempt to build out a growing office. 

smokedsalmonisgreat

@Himalaya I can’t see Calgary matching dollar for dollar to Toronto. Perhaps if Toronto raised salaries by $10,000 a year Calgary will input a $10,000 increase in wages

Ivermectin4President
  • Lawyer
32 minutes ago, smokedsalmonisgreat said:

@Himalaya I can’t see Calgary matching dollar for dollar to Toronto. Perhaps if Toronto raised salaries by $10,000 a year Calgary will input a $10,000 increase in wages

Do you work in Calgary? Historically, Calgary has matched or outpaced Toronto raises, as an anomaly in the market generally. This is not our of order for Calgary.

messiTOtorontoFC
  • Lawyer
8 hours ago, Himalaya said:

Can confirm that the Cassels bump applied in Calgary; presumably it is country-wide.

My contacts at Cassels Calgary have confirmed the same too. With the significant bump (>$15000) Cassels has now become the highest paying (1st year associates) firm in Calgary, atleast to my knowledge. I am not aware of any other firm pays 100k+ in Calgary.

Gonewest
  • Lawyer

Associate at "biglaw" firm in Calgary. Same payscale as Toronto after 2nd year. 

Current Calgary Scale:

• 65k/Articles 
  • 85-92k/1st year associate (typically only 4-6 months before January bump)
  • 105k/2nd year
  • 130k/3rd year
  • 150/4th year
  • +20k/year raise from there.

Heard rumors of raises at Fasken, Cassels and Stikes (Oct. 1) in Toronto thus far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C_Terror
  • Lawyer

Other than Cassels being confirmed, faskens and stikes both are unsubstantiated, and sources from both firms have said there's no word on the raise at all.

• Thanks 1

washeduplawgrad
  • Lawyer
30 minutes ago, C_Terror said:

Other than Cassels being confirmed, faskens and stikes both are unsubstantiated, and sources from both firms have said there's no word on the raise at all.

Thank you. Frustrated when people post without knowing for sure. But I also understand that ppl want it to be true and that posting does allow for others to confirm or deny.

Gonewest
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, C_Terror said:

As far as I know, some smoke but, no fire with Fasken and Stikes. Just parroting what I've been told from Associates at those respective firms. 

Edited by Gonewest

nayaab05
  • Lawyer

I've heard Stikes Montreal has raised 1st year salaries to 120k and apparently this has caused others to match in the market.

If this is true, Montreal associates are now making more than their counterparts in Toronto that have not raised to match Cassels in a city that has a lower COL...

washeduplawgrad
  • Lawyer
13 hours ago, mootcupwizard said:

Only Cassels has been confirmed so far. But rumour today that Gowlings will match in Toronto. 

So hard not to get my hopes up lol

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
15 hours ago, mootcupwizard said:

Only Cassels has been confirmed so far. But rumour today that Gowlings will match in Toronto. 

I'm assuming the rumours are just that; rumours. If the effective date is October 1st, that means time is running out for associates in the non-Cassels firms to have their salaries match Cassels at the same time. 

It looks like firms are playing chicken with each other and daring each other to go first. 

Or, it could mean the beginning of a deviation of the traditional matching step salary, and we're going to have different tiers of payscales on Bay Street, with firms paying less opting to rely on their "brand name".  

• Like 1

frankconners
  • Lawyer
13 minutes ago, C_Terror said:

I'm assuming the rumours are just that; rumours. If the effective date is October 1st, that means time is running out for associates in the non-Cassels firms to have their salaries match Cassels at the same time. 

It looks like firms are playing chicken with each other and daring each other to go first. 

Or, it could mean the beginning of a deviation of the traditional matching step salary, and we're going to have different tiers of payscales on Bay Street, with firms paying less opting to rely on their "brand name".  

Unlikely. Having been through a number of these, the other firms will follow. Especially given how the market is at the moment.

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
37 minutes ago, frankconners said:

Unlikely. Having been through a number of these, the other firms will follow. Especially given how the market is at the moment.

Has there been though? I thought the last time bay street firms raised base salary for associates was back in 2017/2018 when first year associates were raised from 100K to 110K, then the time before that was over 10 years ago before the great recession. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

nayaab05
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, C_Terror said:

I think the jump this time in salaries will likely end up in different tiers of pay scales on Bay Street.  

Certain firms already relied on their “brand name” as a reason not to pay the articling bonus this past year.

Also, not all firms have been able to recruit/retain talent at the same speed/level as other firms. 

it’ll be interesting to see what things look like once the dust settles. 

25 minutes ago, C_Terror said:

Has there been though? I thought the last time bay street firms raised base salary for associates was back in 2017/2018 when first year associates were raised from 100K to 110K, then the time before that was over 10 years ago before the great recession. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

There have been three "waves" of increases in the last five or so years. Not all of them affected all years of call so it's possible that first year salaries were only caught in one of the waves.

• Like 1

Hitman9172
  • Lawyer

If other large firms don't match the Cassels raise, I imagine it'll accelerate the brain drain to US and in-house positions, although the firms definitely do seem to be trying to hold out as long as possible right now.

QueensGrad
  • Lawyer

I think that to students choosing a firm to join, part of how they perceive firms is based on compensation—it affects “branding” and those initial impressions given to 1Ls (through salaries but also other factors) can, rightfully or not, affect how they perceive that firm for many years. 

Again, I think firms are losing top talent to the US due to the salary difference, but in the short term the firms are less worried because there is a steady supply of associates coming from the mid/small firms, who are happy to receive a raise(especially when it comes to bonus) and/or work at a more prominent firm. 

disgruntledpelican
  • Lawyer

Still crickets at my firm - one that has had rumours swirling upthread. I get the impression firms are waiting on the ones they see as direct competitors before doing anything. 

I fail to see how the bump stops the exodus to the US.

Edited by disgruntledpelican

I just don’t get how firms that think their brand name is worth something also think they shouldn’t pay top market. 

If firms don’t match Cassels I think it will accelerate the brain drain to the US. It will also affect student and associate decisions on where they’d want to work. A 20k-25k difference is a big differential. 

I know I feel disappointed and demotivated at the apparent reluctance of other firms to announce matches, and I work at a firm that relies on the sister brand.

Edited by Ghalm
  • Like 1

washeduplawgrad
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, nayaab05 said:

I think the jump this time in salaries will likely end up in different tiers of pay scales on Bay Street.  

Certain firms already relied on their “brand name” as a reason not to pay the articling bonus this past year.

Also, not all firms have been able to recruit/retain talent at the same speed/level as other firms. 

it’ll be interesting to see what things look like once the dust settles. 

All the 7 sisters gave the bonus didn’t they? I’m shocked to hear a firm didn’t/relied on their “name brand” not to.