Big Law Salary Increase

Ivermectin4President

12 minutes ago, washeduplawgrad said:

No other firms with updates yet?

Is this confirmed because I’ve heard this rumour a few times and then had it dismissed. 

Not personally confirmed but friend shared that their friend at Torys received an email from the managing partner announcing raise within the last 30. 

Freshtransplant
  • Lawyer

Presuming these confirmations are specific to the Toronto offices of these firms. Any word if salaries are rising in their other Canadian offices?

Lufty123
  • Lawyer

Confirmed that all seven sister firms other than Stikemans are using the new pay scale. I'm sure the rest of the firms will follow suit by January. 

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, Lufty123 said:

Confirmed that all seven sister firms other than Stikemans are using the new pay scale. I'm sure the rest of the firms will follow suit by January. 

McCarthy and Goodmans also confirmed in the past few hours?

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, HarveyRoss said:

Are the proposed raises in question applicable to articling students?

Considering the street just raised articling student salary less than 2 years ago, I doubt it. 

13 minutes ago, samk554 said:

where are the formal announcements?

Firms would send internal emails to their associates. You may possibly see the NALP adjustment in a few months or so.

• Like 1

theSquibandtheEye
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Lufty123 said:

When you say all seven sister firms, do you mean Davies is raising as well?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, samk554 said:

where are the formal announcements?

I can assure you the firms are not putting out press releases announcing this change...

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

6 hours ago, theSquibandtheEye said:

When you say all seven sister firms, do you mean Davies is raising as well?

They raised earlier this year to create an almost unbelievable pay gap between them and the others, and I think they are still paying quite a bit more even than this new scale, so I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll raise salaries again very soon.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
23 minutes ago, Guest said:

They raised earlier this year to create an almost unbelievable pay gap between them and the others, and I think they are still paying quite a bit more even than this new scale, so I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll raise salaries again very soon.

What are they paying now? I thought they were still at 135k for first years, which is inline with their usual practice of paying ~20-30 more than their peers. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

23 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

What are they paying now? I thought they were still at 135k for first years, which is inline with their usual practice of paying ~20-30 more than their peers. 

I think you're right and I misremembered (and was in any case thinking of senior years), so maybe they will raise to keep a comfortable lead. As I recall, 1st through 6th is 135, 155, 180, 210, 240, and 270. So not as substantial a gap as I had in mind, at least until 4-6.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

By the way, I heard (not from a Cassels person so can't say if it's true necessarily) that the Cassels bonus structure is not great, especially compared to a bunch of the other firms, which is partly why Cassels can implement so early without as much of a fuss.

frankconners
  • Lawyer

My understanding is that this is true of the bonus structure for a number of sister adjacent firms (think Fasken, BLG, McMillan etc.)

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, frankconners said:

My understanding is that this is true of the bonus structure for a number of sister adjacent firms (think Fasken, BLG, McMillan etc.)

Weird. It's almost like there's actual differences between the firms and some sort of ranking of them into to tiers could be possible. 

• Like 2

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
43 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

some sort of ranking of them into to tiers could be possible. 

Be the change you wish to see in the world, Blocked.