Big Law Salary Increase

Ivermectin4President

12 minutes ago, Dussy said:

Does anyone know if Bennett Jones similarly raised to 160k? Or perhaps 155k?

No word yet, they have not increased anything as of now. 

QueensGrad
  • Lawyer

FYI, I recently heard that although BJ historically paid above market to their first year associates, the next two year raises were smaller than the rest of Bay st so that by the time you got to about 3rd year and up you are on the same scale as the rest of the street.

Edited by QueensGrad

42 minutes ago, QueensGrad said:

FYI, I recently heard that although BJ historically paid above market to their first year associates, the next two year raises were smaller than the rest of Bay st so that by the time you got to about 3rd year and up you are on the same scale as the rest of the street.

I never really thought of that lol. If that’s true, that’s pretty funny. 

Bob Jones
  • Lawyer

Sorry if this has been repeated to death/redundant - can anyone confirm the newish scale (for the national"big law" firms following it, and the firms which have raised it accordingly) is 110 (now 130 1st yr), 130 (now 150 2nd yr), 150 (now 170 3rd yr), (170 now 190 4th yr), and 190 (now 210 5th yr) base + bonus? I've heard the "lock step" typically only applies for the first three years of call, but I'm also seeing comments that it extends somewhat beyond that (at least some firms). 

I understand this is a generalization, and some firms like BJ or others may offer comp above that. Just looking for a general ideal. Thanks. 

Are there any notable holdouts to the first year salary bump on Bay Street? 

According to NALP, certain big firms have yet to post any changes to their first year associate salaries (still sitting at $110,000). I've noticed McCarthy, Stikeman and Goodmans in particular have yet to reflect this change on their profiles. 

Not sure if their NALP pages just outdated. Would anyone at these firms care to comment? 

JohnsonWest
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, kakoose said:

According to NALP, certain big firms have yet to post any changes to their first year associate salaries (still sitting at $110,000). I've noticed McCarthy, Stikeman and Goodmans in particular have yet to reflect this change on their profiles. 

Not sure if their NALP pages just outdated. Would anyone at these firms care to comment? 

NALP is outdated as i understand. see post before yours for what seems to me an accurate description of salaries in toronto

• Like 2

Songbird
  • Lawyer
19 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Sorry if this has been repeated to death/redundant - can anyone confirm the newish scale (for the national"big law" firms following it, and the firms which have raised it accordingly) is 110 (now 130 1st yr), 130 (now 150 2nd yr), 150 (now 170 3rd yr), (170 now 190 4th yr), and 190 (now 210 5th yr) base + bonus? I've heard the "lock step" typically only applies for the first three years of call, but I'm also seeing comments that it extends somewhat beyond that (at least some firms). 

I understand this is a generalization, and some firms like BJ or others may offer comp above that. Just looking for a general ideal. Thanks. 

My firm's lockstep is for the first seven years and the numbers you cited are slightly lower. New comp is: 

1st - $130

2nd - $150

3rd - $175

4th - $195

5th -$215

6th - $235

7th - $255

• Like 2

Nooners
  • Lawyer
14 hours ago, kakoose said:

These three firms have moved to the $130,000 scale (I work at one, and have friends at the others who confirmed they matched when the other sisters moved).

A friend working at BJ's has also confirmed that they recently moved first year salaries to $140,000 and that their scale is apparently now 140-160-180-200-220.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 11:57 AM, Songbird said:

My firm's lockstep is for the first seven years and the numbers you cited are slightly lower. New comp is: 

1st - $130

2nd - $150

3rd - $175

4th - $195

5th -$215

6th - $235

7th - $255

Is this confirmed for sure at your firm? Under the previous scale 6th year at my firm was $210k and 7th was $225k so the bumps are good.

Songbird
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, Dragon123 said:

Is this confirmed for sure at your firm? Under the previous scale 6th year at my firm was $210k and 7th was $225k so the bumps are good.

Confirmed. 

• Like 1

C_Terror
  • Lawyer

Side note, have any of you noticed an increase in cold emails from US recruiters? I've gotten 4 different recruiters reaching out in the last two weeks alone.

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I've heard that the long-rumoured articling raise to 80k is finally making its way around Calgary, including at least one regional (Field).

• Thanks 1

Ivermectin4President
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

I've heard that the long-rumoured articling raise to 80k is finally making its way around Calgary, including at least one regional (Field).

Yes, confirmed at some major firms at least as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m curious if salary increases are usually backdated to Jan 1st or do they become effective after review period at most firms?

braindrain
  • Lawyer

Hearing rumors of some Toronto Big Law firms paying increased bonuses this year including 2 sisters who have announced bonuses in the 40-50% range. Anyone else hear anything?

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, braindrain said:

Hearing rumors of some Toronto Big Law firms paying increased bonuses this year including 2 sisters who have announced bonuses in the 40-50% range. Anyone else hear anything?

Does this include the 10% covid bonuses or exclusive of them? I wouldn't be surprised, they've never seen this much turnover. Some Bay St firms literally ran out of 2019 call Associates at one point before they replenished them - all left.

braindrain
  • Lawyer

This is exclusive of the covid bonuses. My firm is announcing bonuses later this week so I’m wondering what to expect. Turnover was certainly at an all time high last year so I hope those who stayed get rewarded. 

Chrysander
  • Lawyer
13 hours ago, Jaggers said:

Even in house I got over 25% this year, so I hope the Bay St folks, who are working a lot harder than I am, get more.

Well at one national firm, Toronto bonuses peaked at 25% if you can believe it.