Employer Perception of a Second-Language Law Degree

Lettuce

Lettuce
  • Law Student

I'm an Anglophone currently a studying at a French Civil Law school in Quebec. From what I understand, this path is not particularly uncommon and I have heard some positive anecdotes over the years, but I'd like to know if there are any known advantages/disadvantages that come along with this in the eyes of employers. I foresee it being a topic of conversation in interviews perhaps, but I'd like to know if there is something beyond that which employers consider with regard to a second-language law degree. And does going to a French law school have any particular benefits or drawbacks when considering law markets outside of Quebec (with an LLB + JD)? Thanks!

Homosapiens
  • Lawyer

I'm not very familiar with the licensing requirements of the law societies of other provinces, but assuming that you can practice in the common law jurisdictions outside of Quebec with your degree, and you do have competent knowledge of Canadian and English common law, I would say that your French law school and knowledge in civil law is a big asset and would particularly pop up for employers that need bilingual lawyers.

You can also probably stand out in government counsel positions.

• Like 1

artsydork
  • Lawyer

Knowledge of French is a big asset in the communities where that is important (i.e., everywhere in la belle province, Ottawa, portions of SW Ontario, portions of Northern Ontario, New Brunswick, government positions, etc.). It will be a strong positive there. 

The civil degree is not an asset if you're not practicing in QC. I have one and have not used it in practice, especially since I am not a member of the QC bar. The 1 year JD doesn't open all that many doors in the private world given that you have 1 year of common law under your belt. The few that I know with the 1 year JD either stayed in QC, ended in government, or lateraled to Ontario after working for a bit in QC.  

• Like 3