Hourly billable rate for articling student's time

meh_meh_

meh_meh_
  • Articling Student

Hey everyone,

Just curious what firm's in BC typically bill out articling student's time for? 

I'm articling at a small firm in Victoria, BC. My principle charges $350/hour, but isn't sure what to bill out my time for. She asked me to find out what the typical billable rate is for articling students, particularly those at small firms. 

Any insight is appreciated!

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

A lot of firms consider their billable rates and billable rate structure to be confidential information; I would caution students against sharing this type of information publicly unless they know it won't be a problem. 

OP, there are a few ways you can go about figuring this out without asking others to share confidential information. For example, you might be able to ask senior lawyers you know what they bill their students out for, or what they would bill students out for if they had one. You might also do some market research on what legal aid pays for students/new calls, which would give you a good idea of the absolute floor for your billable rate. Finally, you might look to industry sources such as Canadian Lawyer Magazine's fee reports.

• Like 2