Buying textbooks if you have summaries already

diddlysquatflenderson

diddlysquatflenderson
  • Law Student

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could share some of their thoughts on reasons to buy physical copies of textbooks when you already have the course summary and would prefer to not do a textbook reading unless needed. Thanks in advance!

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I think you're begging the question. If you've already committed to not doing your readings, then obviously there's no point in buying a textbook.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
18 minutes ago, Pantalaimon said:

I think you're begging the question. If you've already committed to not doing your readings, then obviously there's no point in buying a textbook.

+1 for using "begging the question" correctly.

• LOL 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
10 hours ago, diddlysquatflenderson said:

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could share some of their thoughts on reasons to buy physical copies of textbooks when you already have the course summary and would prefer to not do a textbook reading unless needed. Thanks in advance!

As a 3L, what has work for you so far? 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

Depends on a lot of factors - the subject matter, the Prof, your own ability.

I didn't buy a single textbook in 3L and got my strongest grades. But I was also strategic in picking courses that were known for having predictable subject matter. There are courses where this would not have worked.

Keep in mind that summaries often suck and you won't know that until you're preparing for exams and realize half the cases are described incorrectly.