Duty counsel

toby1994

toby1994
  • Law Student

Any insights as to how competitive LAO criminal duty counsel positions are to secure and what the day to day operations of that job may look like? Thank you! 

artsydork
  • Lawyer

There aren't really all that many staff postings. I understand that they also get quite from few applicants. You can find the few online. It was a lot of internal hiring when I worked there. The staff role has also changed during the pandemic i can't really speak to the current day to day. 

The DC role will change depending on the courthouse and location. DC are bail machines. Day to day can be meeting with newly arrested accused held to see a JP, running Tunnys or show cause and bails, meeting and prepping sureties, setting bail plans into motion, remand/video court, prepping pleas, being paged into various courts, CPTs, and/or any sort of mixture of the above. But like, having 6 bails on your list, spread across 2 courts, and you're also paged into a different court as they hope you'd help with a self rep plead instead of running their trial, while trying to find the also spread thin crown to try to negotiate at least 1 consent release out of the bunch was totally a normal day at one location I worked at. Judgelights recent post in the Ask a Crown thread summed up much of the time I was DC. Some locations do not have this issue at all though. 

Edited by artsydork
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
Scrivener
  • Articling Student
On 9/9/2021 at 7:52 PM, artsydork said:

Day to day can be meeting with newly arrested accused held to see a JP, running Tunnys or show cause and bails, meeting and prepping sureties, setting bail plans into motion, remand/video court, prepping pleas, being paged into various courts, CPTs, and/or any sort of mixture of the above. But like, having 6 bails on your list, spread across 2 courts, and you're also paged into a different court as they hope you'd help with a self rep plead instead of running their trial, while trying to find the also spread thin crown to try to negotiate at least 1 consent release out of the bunch was totally a normal day at one location I worked at.

Ooh, this sounds satiating...