Chances?

DreamsOntheHolodeck

DreamsOntheHolodeck
  • Law School Admit

Hello, I was hoping you guys could give me an honest review of my chances at some of the following universities: York, Queen's, Ottawa, Dalhousie, TRU, Alberta, Calgary, McGill. 

My CGPA (on 4-point scale) is 3.58.

L2/B2 is 3.79.

LSAT is 163. 

Any feedback is appreciated!

DreamsOntheHolodeck
  • Law School Admit
18 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

Looks good for Queen's, Dalhousie, TRU, Alberta, Calgary.

Thank you! I too expect my chances to be smaller with the ones you've omitted.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DreamsOntheHolodeck said:

Hello, I was hoping you guys could give me an honest review of my chances at some of the following universities: York, Queen's, Ottawa, Dalhousie, TRU, Alberta, Calgary, McGill. 

L2/B2 is 3.79.

LSAT is 163. 

What is your cGPA etc. per OLSAS?

Thrive92
  • Applicant
14 hours ago, DreamsOntheHolodeck said:

L2/B2 is 3.79.

LSAT is 163. 

With a 3.79 L2 and a 163 LSAT, you are highly likely to be accepted into TRU, Alberta and Calgary. Congrats

• Thanks 1

DreamsOntheHolodeck
  • Law School Admit
11 hours ago, luckycharm said:

What is your cGPA etc. per OLSAS?

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I cannot really say. Quite often, a professor would simply submit our final score in alphabetical format on our transcript. However, I think I can say with some certainty that it would not be as good per the OLSAS method, since many of my scores were high 80s, and while at McGill that would give me a 4.0, OLSAS seems to lower that to a 3.9. 

8 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

With a 3.79 L2 and a 163 LSAT, you are highly likely to be accepted into TRU, Alberta and Calgary. Congrats

Hey, thanks! I'm just hoping to have options--choice. 

10 hours ago, DreamsOntheHolodeck said:

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I cannot really say. Quite often, a professor would simply submit our final score in alphabetical format on our transcript. However, I think I can say with some certainty that it would not be as good per the OLSAS method, since many of my scores were high 80s, and while at McGill that would give me a 4.0, OLSAS seems to lower that to a 3.9. 

Hey, thanks! I'm just hoping to have options--choice. 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-conversion-table/

DreamsOntheHolodeck
  • Law School Admit
On 9/11/2021 at 10:04 PM, luckycharm said:

Hmm, yes I've looked at that. From some hypothetical grades (again, I do not have all the percentages since some profs simply gave us a final letter grade, and so while I may have an A, that could just as easily be a 3.9 or a 4.0 per OLSAS), I'd say my L2 drops significantly from 3.79 to 3.65 (many high 80s as opposed to 90s), and I cannot say for my cgpa since that would require too many hypothetical grades. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

10 minutes ago, DreamsOntheHolodeck said:

Hmm, yes I've looked at that. From some hypothetical grades (again, I do not have all the percentages since some profs simply gave us a final letter grade, and so while I may have an A, that could just as easily be a 3.9 or a 4.0 per OLSAS), I'd say my L2 drops significantly from 3.79 to 3.65 (many high 80s as opposed to 90s), and I cannot say for my cgpa since that would require too many hypothetical grades. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Your letter or percentage grade are converted based on OLSAS.  An A can be converted to 3.9 or 4.0 depending on the school you attended. There is no way to predict your chance without knowing your GPA etc. per OLSAS.

I went to York and my GPA and L2 drop about 0.25 after OLSAS conversion.  An A from York is 3.80 per OLSAS.

Is an A from your University = 4.0 per OLSAS conversion?

Edited by luckycharm

DreamsOntheHolodeck
  • Law School Admit
21 hours ago, luckycharm said:

Your letter or percentage grade are converted based on OLSAS.  An A can be converted to 3.9 or 4.0 depending on the school you attended. There is no way to predict your chance without knowing your GPA etc. per OLSAS.

I went to York and my GPA and L2 drop about 0.25 after OLSAS conversion.  An A from York is 3.80 per OLSAS.

Is an A from your University = 4.0 per OLSAS conversion?

Yeah, at McGill an A is 4.0. But that can be anywhere from 85 to 100. Does that matter? Oh wait, do my grades not actually get decreased? On the OLSAS conversion, McGill's scale is "8". On the OLSAS scale, that doesn't seem to change anything--that is, in the "8" column an A is 4.0, A- is 3.7, B+ is 3.3, etc. just as they would be at McGill. So, for instance let's say last semester I took 4 classes and got As in each one, but two were 87% and two were 92%, would my gpa be 2*4.0 and 2*3.9, or 4*4.0?

Again, sorry about my confusion, and thanks for the responses!