Apply in Sept or after Oct LSAT?

cjs
  • Law Student

Hello! I wrote the LSAT for the first time in August and got 157.  My cGPA is ~89% and I'm going into the 3rd year of a 4 year degree (applying for conditional acceptance).  I'm going to re-write the LSAT in Oct.  If you were in my position, would you apply in September as soon as admissions are accepted? Or, would you apply right after the Oct LSAT so at least they can see a score is pending?  I don't think I'd be getting an offer right away anyways (ie - if I applied in Sept) but I'm wondering if there is any other drawback to applying after the Oct LSAT? Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

UBC
  • Law School Admit

As a 3rd year, you'll be allowed to drop your lowest 6 credits (typically 2 courses). Is the cGPA figure you provided with or without those drops? 

20 minutes ago, cjs said:

I don't think I'd be getting an offer right away anyways (ie - if I applied in Sept) but I'm wondering if there is any other drawback to applying after the Oct LSAT?

Generally, it's encouraged to apply early, but I wouldn't let that knowledge stop you from waiting until you had more competitive stats to apply. Last year there were multiple people who applied around Nov 10 and still got 1st-round offers in early December. Applying in November will be even less of an issue if you're alright with getting accepted in the 2nd or 3rd rounds (Jan-March).

Edited by UBC

cjs
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, UBC said:

Is the cGPA figure you provided with or without those drops? 

Thanks for the reply.  My cGPA is without drops however I don't currently go to UBC and with the conversion from Capilano my cGPA will be 'capped' at 90%.  

UBC
  • Law School Admit

In that case, I'd definitely recommend that you wait until after your LSAT retake before applying. With your current LSAT score, your index score wouldn't crack the 92 autoadmission threshold even if you had a 90% average, which you said was the highest possible cGPA you could have due to how Allard converts letter grades. There isn't much point to applying early if your stats wouldn't be considered strong enough for admission anyways.

The good news is that you don't need to raise your LSAT score by very much at all to be within autoadmit territory. Best of luck!

• Like 1

TiredLawStudent
  • Law Student

Don't mean to high jack the thread but I have a related question. I've taken the LSAT already (159) but plan to retake it in November. Can I just submit my application now and email the Admissions office that I will be retaking the LSAT in Nov or do I wait? (looking to apply everywhere in Canada tbh 🙂  ).

Thanks!

Renerik
  • Law Student
21 hours ago, JackD said:

Don't mean to high jack the thread but I have a related question. I've taken the LSAT already (159) but plan to retake it in November. Can I just submit my application now and email the Admissions office that I will be retaking the LSAT in Nov or do I wait? (looking to apply everywhere in Canada tbh 🙂  ).

Thanks!

There will be an option on the application to indicate that you intend to/are registered to write a future LSAT. They will make a note of it and retrieve your LSAT score in December when it comes out. No need to email them.

• 1 month later...
LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

I am in the same boat. I got a LSAT score below UBC's median, so I am struggling if I should apply now with that number. I don't know whether my Oct LSAT will be better. Will apply in November affect my chance greatly?

Edited by LordBONSAI