If you don't get an intent to interview, does that mean you are rejected?

Mr. Deeds

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering that if you don't get an intent to interview from a firm that does this if that means you are rejected? I wasn't sure if they sent these emails to a select few, or to all of those they are interviewing. I have heard of people not getting an intent to interview then getting an OCI so I was just curious. 

Lots of firms that send intent to interviews before OCIs don't send PFOs. If other people from your school have gotten an intent to interview from that firm and you haven't heard anything, it's safe to assume that's a rejection. I remember Fasken specifically, sending only intent to interviews and no PFOs before OCIs in my year but I'm pretty sure most of the firms that sent intent to interviews didn't send PFOs and just let silence = rejection. 

However, if you're wondering about a firm like Davies which sends both intent to interviews and PFOs before OCIs then not hearing anything might not be a rejection. Could be that you were waitlisted. CDO at my school said that most firms keep a couple names on reserve in case somebody else drops one of their OCIs. But realistically speaking, nobody is likely to drop an OCI from one of the national firms so a waitlist is usually also a rejection. 

Generally it's safe to assume that intent to interviews are sent to all students who receive an OCI from the same school at the same time. 

• Like 2