Timeline between OCI Interviews and ITC emails

NotasStressed

NotasStressed
  • NCA Candidate

Hey all,

I was wondering what is the general timeline between completing OCI Interviews and receiving ITC emails for in-firm interviews.

Also, do firms tend to send their ITC emails at the same time?

From previous years, would you have insights on specific timelines by firms? Do some firms send ITC emails right away after OCI interviews?

Thank you in advance

Edited by TheNCAguy

JustinCredible
  • Law Student

Last recruit, firms sent out ITCs during the week before the call day. No, they do not send emails at the same time and not necessarily right after OCIs. It is all firm-dependent. 

1 hour ago, JustinCredible said:

Last recruit, firms sent out ITCs during the week before the call day. No, they do not send emails at the same time and not necessarily right after OCIs. It is all firm-dependent. 

Week before call day seems pretty late, but that could have been because last year was an unusual year. In my year only some boutiques like Paliare Roland and Koskie Minsky were sending ITCs during the week before call day. 

1 hour ago, TheNCAguy said:

Hey all,

I was wondering what is the general timeline between completing OCI Interviews and receiving ITC emails for in-firm interviews.

Also, do firms tend to send their ITC emails at the same time?

From previous years, would you have insights on specific timelines by firms? Do some firms send ITC emails right away after OCI interviews?

Thank you in advance

The full service firms in Toronto tend to send ITCs within a week of your OCI. I remember Blakes sending ITCs/PFOs the day after OCIs in 2019 and Fasken was two days after OCIs. Most of the other big firms sent their ITCs sometime between OCI and the end of the week after OCIs. 

My school also had the earliest OCI date in 2019 so I don't think the full service firms will wait to interview candidates at other schools before making a decision whether or not to send you an ITC. 

NotasStressed
  • NCA Candidate
2 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

Last recruit, firms sent out ITCs during the week before the call day. No, they do not send emails at the same time  not necessarily rig

46 minutes ago, QMT20 said:

Week before call day seems pretty late, but that could have been because last year was an unusual year. In my year only some boutiques like Paliare Roland and Koskie Minsky were sending ITCs during the week before call day. 

The full service firms in Toronto tend to send ITCs within a week of your OCI. I remember Blakes sending ITCs/PFOs the day after OCIs in 2019 and Fasken was two days after OCIs. Most of the other big firms sent their ITCs sometime between OCI and the end of the week after OCIs. 

My school also had the earliest OCI date in 2019 so I don't think the full service firms will wait to interview candidates at other schools before making a decision whether or not to send you an ITC. 

Thank you so much! It relieves my nervousness. I have sent thank you emails and got responses such as "good luck," so I ended up reading into the responses too much. Hope I get more ITC emails soon!

Edit:Do they also send rejections?

Edited by TheNCAguy

JustinCredible
  • Law Student
23 minutes ago, TheNCAguy said:

Thank you so much! It relieves my nervousness. I have sent thank you emails and got responses such as "good luck," so I ended up reading into the responses too much. Hope I get more ITC emails soon!

Some do and some don't. It is likely that if you do not get an ITC for the OCI recruit, you wont get a call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNCAguy said:

@JustinCredible answered your question about rejections. 

Try to zone out things like "good luck" and "we continue to be impressed by you" which aren't an ITC. My friends who were hurt the most during recruitment were the ones who overanalyzed those types of responses from lawyers, honed in on the idea that certain people at X firm really liked them, and then called me to cry the night before offer day at the end of in firms to say that the firm told them they wouldn't be receiving an offer. 

When you get to the in firm stage, you'll have to worry about which firms are really interested in you and who you'll invest your time in. But for now try to drown that out and don't get too attached to the idea of working for any firm in particular. Just show your best side to every firm, let things play out, and assess your options as ITCs come in. 

Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

NotasStressed
  • NCA Candidate
26 minutes ago, CurryLawyer said:

NCA candidate here. Received rejection mail from Bennett Jones for in-firm round today

I am sorry. Hopefully, there will be some good news headed towards your way soon. 

goonersfc
  • Law Student
On 9/12/2021 at 11:01 AM, QMT20 said:

My experience was pretty similar in 2019 as well. I had a couple of firms send me an ITC on the very next day of my OCI, and I had to wait until a week before the in-firms to get hear from other firms.  

On 9/12/2021 at 11:01 AM, QMT20 said:

ithin a week of your OCI. I remember Blakes sending ITCs/PFOs the day after OCIs in 2019 and Fasken was two days after OCIs. Most of the other big

Received PFO from Fasken

spacecadet
  • NCA Candidate

If a firm forgot to send an OCI to you by accident, you might still hear from them. These OCIs are usually held on the "makeup OCI day" on 18 October.

Also, I know of an NCA Candidate who hasn't received any news from Bennett Jones while others have received a PFO. Not sure if no news from a firm that's sending out PFOs is necessarily bad news.

HarveyRoss
  • Articling Student
20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

If a firm forgot to send an OCI to you by accident, you might still hear from them. These OCIs are usually held on the "makeup OCI day" on 18 October.

Also, I know of an NCA Candidate who hasn't received any news from Bennett Jones while others have received a PFO. Not sure if no news from a firm that's sending out PFOs is necessarily bad news.

It could, but fwiw, I was rejected from a firm I didn’t receive a PFO from despite my classmate receiving a PFO from that firm before our schedule came out.

spacecadet
  • NCA Candidate
5 minutes ago, HarveyRoss said:

It could, but fwiw, I was rejected from a firm I didn’t receive a PFO from despite my classmate receiving a PFO from that firm before our schedule came out.

Thanks for the info!

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Confirmed that Queen's PFO's for Blake's OCI's have gone out. Is it safe to assume that not getting a PFO means that you are getting an OCI? 

24 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Confirmed that Queen's PFO's for Blake's OCI's have gone out. Is it safe to assume that not getting a PFO means that you are getting an OCI? 

No, Blakes also sends intent to interviews before OCIs. If you've heard of others getting intent to interviews already and you haven't then there's a chance you were waitlisted. It's also possible they're reviewing/sending in waves, but in the past all the intent to interviews were released together, and all the PFOs were released together. 

• Thanks 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, QMT20 said:

No, Blakes also sends intent to interviews before OCIs. If you've heard of others getting intent to interviews already and you haven't then there's a chance you were waitlisted. It's also possible they're reviewing/sending in waves, but in the past all the intent to interviews were released together, and all the PFOs were released together. 

Do you know which other firms send out ITCs? As far as I know, for the big firms at Queens OCI’s the only communication as of yet has been the Davies PFO/ITCs and the Blake’s PFOs. 

edit: it does seem to be that all the PFOs were sent together (today). 

Edited by QueensDenning

4 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Do you know which other firms send out ITCs? As far as I know, for the big firms at Queens OCI’s the only communication as of yet has been the Davies PFO/ITCs and the Blake’s PFOs. 

edit: it does seem to be that all the PFOs were sent together (today). 

Davies and Blakes tend to be two of the first ones to come out. Goodmans and Fasken will come out in the next couple of days. Off the top of my head, I also remember Bennett Jones and Lenczner Slaght sending them out in 2019. Some firms may not do it every year though, I wouldn't be surprised if some have changed their practices since everything became virtual. 

There were a few other firms that people in another thread mentioned sending out intent to interviews before OCIs as well, but I don't remember every firm that sent them off the top of my head.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Messi said:

Did anyone hear from BLG, WeirFoulds, Paliare Roland or Prosecution Services of Canada?

In the past, Paliare Roland sent out their ITCs the week before call day. Call day this year is Oct 22 right? I'd expect theirs to come out sometime between Oct 15-20. 

Boutique firms generally send their ITCs out the week before call day or don't send ITCs and just call you on the day of. The exceptions are Lenczner and Hicks Morley who tend to send ITCs around the same time most of the full service firms do. 

Edited by QMT20

NotasStressed
  • NCA Candidate
6 hours ago, Messi said:

Did anyone hear from BLG, WeirFoulds, Paliare Roland or Prosecution Services of Canada?

I am curious to know whether BLG ITCs went out too.