Extracurriculars

Megjackson

Megjackson
  • Law Student

I always see people posting about the great extracurriculars they have for their applications. I'm going to write the LSAT in February for the first time so I'm not weeks away from sending in applications or anything urgent. 

I'm thinking I need to develop some extracurriculars for my applications now? 

What counts? Is it volunteering, legal experience, or just things that make you look good on paper? What are you adding as your extracurriculars? 

I have worked as a legal administrative assistant, I have my legal administration certification. Does that count? 

Extra curricular activities can be almost anything. If you work full time make note of that. If you volunteer somewhere make note of that. If you belong to a campus organization and actually do something, mention that. 

The fact that you are looking at ECs like something you need to start to collect to make your law school application stronger makes me wince. It will also be obvious to any Admissions committee when they see you have only been doing it for six months.

ECs are not Pokémon. You don’t need to catch ‘em all. 

My best recommendation is for you to take a look at what you actually do already. Do you play an instrument to a notable level? Do you play any sports? Do you support people in your community by working with an organization? Have you competed in anything? Have you published anything (not necessarily academic work)? Have you supported yourself through school by working two jobs? Take what you have and build on it. 

A person has volunteered as a Big Sister for five years, who works 20 hours a week clearing tables at the local pizza place, who plays bass guitar with her band on Saturday and has just dropped a second album is an interesting and well rounded person.

A person who just this month signed up for the University PreLaw Club, the Univesity Debate Club, the University Poli Sci Club,  and Founded the General Organization of Students Interested In Justice, and just started showing up at a soup kitchen and has never held a paying job is not going to come across as well. 

1 hour ago, luckycharm said:

Schools you want to apply and your GPA etc.

That’s completely non responsive to the OP. Keep it to Chances threads. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Hegdis said:

I will travel, across the land

Searching far and wide

These adcoms they will understand 

The power that’s insideeee 🎵

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, Hegdis said:

Extra curricular activities can be almost anything. If you work full time make note of that. If you volunteer somewhere make note of that. If you belong to a campus organization and actually do something, mention that. 

The fact that you are looking at ECs like something you need to start to collect to make your law school application stronger makes me wince. It will also be obvious to any Admissions committee when they see you have only been doing it for six months.

My best recommendation is for you to take a look at what you actually do already. Do you play an instrument to a notable level? Do you play any sports? Do you support people in your community by working with an organization? Have you competed in anything? Have you published anything (not necessarily academic work)? Have you supported yourself through school by working two jobs? Take what you have and build on it. 

A person has volunteered as a Big Sister for five years, who works 20 hours a week clearing tables at the local pizza place, who plays bass guitar with her band on Saturday and has just dropped a second album is an interesting and well rounded person.

A person who just this month signed up for the University PreLaw Club, the Univesity Debate Club, the University Poli Sci Club,  and Founded the General Organization of Students Interested In Justice, and just started showing up at a soup kitchen and has never held a paying job is not going to come across as well. 

That’s completely non responsive to the OP. Keep it to Chances threads. 

" I'm going to write the LSAT in February for the first time "

This is what I was trying to response.  Depending on Op's stats and schools he/she is planning to apply, EC may not be an issue but the timing of the LSAT will have a huge impact.

"I'm thinking I need to develop some extracurriculars for my applications now? "

The application is due within 6 weeks in Ontario (not sure about other Provinces) and I don't think OP can develop any meaningful EC with this short period of time and able to put it on his/her application.

Edited by luckycharm

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
17 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

" I'm going to write the LSAT in February for the first time "

This is what I was trying to response.  Depending on Op's stats and schools he/she is planning to apply, EC may not be an issue but the timing of the LSAT will have a huge impact.

"I'm thinking I need to develop some extracurriculars for my applications now? "

The application is due within 6 weeks in Ontario (not sure about other Provinces) and I don't think OP can develop any meaningful EC with this short period of time and able to put it on his/her application.

I may be wrong but the post generally implies they are applying in 2022 for admission in 2023.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

I may be wrong but the post generally implies they are applying in 2022 for admission in 2023.

yeah, I misread that.

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
Just now, luckycharm said:

yeah, I misread that.

Dude. Real talks, why are so obsessed with chances threads? Aren't you a Bay Street lawyer? You should not have this much free time on your hands. 

Yeah, I assume LC is trying to be helpful and kind. I've seen nothing to contradict that hypothesis. My thing is...

If every single question asked around here were simply a proxy for, "Am I admissible?", then "What are your stats?" would be a great question to ask, because stats are always the biggest piece of the admissions process, and it's not close. LC often seems to be evangelizing for the notion that stats are what matter, and that people's goals should be to try to improve their stats, and I don't know that anyone disagrees with these assertions. It's like that phone number you used to be able to call to find out what time it is. LC will tell you what time it is, and what time it is is, it's time to tell us your stats. I think, as far as that goes, it's cool. There are worse perspectives and worse attitudes, and as long as something's kindly intended, I'm not going to get all het up.

But the thing is, some questions are actually not about admissibility. Some are about how to navigate aspects of this process that are new to the poster. Some are about how to fit into structures we don't know much about. ("Lots of people know about ECs and have great ones, but I don't even know what that is" seems, to me, at least partially to be a question about, "I don't come from the kind of privileged background where everyone has great ECs and summers in Italy---how do I fit into this fancy world?", but maybe I'm projecting.) A lot of them are just about...you know, what the person is asking about in their post, with little to no subtext. I tend to agree with how Hegdis worded his comment - responses that don't respond to the inquiry tend not to be helpful. But that's me.

• Thanks 1

I don’t mind the clock either. I just think when the clock starts calling into non-time related conversations to tell you the time, that’s a little odd. 

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

I don’t mind the clock either. I just think when the clock starts calling into non-time related conversations to tell you the time, that’s a little odd. 

Oh, yeah, I think we're all on the same page about this behavior being sometimes a little odd. I'm just trying to be nice for once in my life. A spoonful of sugar, etc.

undertheletter
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Yogurt Baron said:

It's like that phone number you used to be able to call to find out what time it is.

?!?!

maybemaybe
  • Applicant

Not sure when you're going to apply but in terms of EC's, I would strongly suggest involving yourself in something you are actually passionate about. Admissions, scholarships, and awards committee can usually see through BS and now when you've done something for the sake of it looking good on a resume or application. Of course they're needed but I think EC's are much more impactful when they frame a clear picture of you as a person, your interests, and your passion