Jump to content

Average Salary?


EastOT
 Share

Recommended Posts

EastOT
  • Applicant

hi everyone,

Planning on hopefully attending Osgoode in the 2022-2023 year and was just wondering what the average salary is like working for a corporate firm. My current guess is about 50-60k while articling and then 60-80k starting once employed full time? Just curious what the avg ball park is. Also, is it tough landing a job upon graduating?

Thanks in advance ūüôā

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ClarkGriswold
  • Applicant

Some potentially useful Bay Street info here:

 https://ultravires.ca/2019/07/mccarthy-tetrault-raises-articling-pay-to-1900-per-week/

Pulled from article:

Associate salaries at most Bay Street firms now start at $110,000, following a raise last summer from $100,000. It was the first raise since 2007 for associates.

The salary grid for most Bay Street firms is now: 

Articling: $88,400 ($1,700 per week annualized) 

First-year: $110,000 

Second-year: $130,000

Third-year: $150,000 

Fourth-year: $170,000

Fifth-year: $180,000

Sixth-year: $200,000

Edited by ClarkGriswold
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EastOT
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, ClarkGriswold said:

Some potentially useful Bay Street info here:

 https://ultravires.ca/2019/07/mccarthy-tetrault-raises-articling-pay-to-1900-per-week/

Pulled from article:

Associate salaries at most Bay Street firms now start at $110,000, following a raise last summer from $100,000. It was the first raise since 2007 for associates.

The salary grid for most Bay Street firms is now: 

Articling: $88,400 ($1,700 per week annualized) 

First-year: $110,000 

Second-year: $130,000

Third-year: $150,000 

Fourth-year: $170,000

Fifth-year: $180,000

Sixth-year: $200,000

thanks for sharing this! Had no clue the salary range was this high. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, EastOT said:

thanks for sharing this! Had no clue the salary range was this high. 

You didn't think the salary range for corporate lawyers was this high? Sure, it's not medicine, but you still need to go through many years of schooling and standardized testing to get here. If undergrad business and computer science students are making 80k+ right out the gate, why would you expect anything less for corporate lawyers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CleanHands
  • Articling Student
1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

You didn't think the salary range for corporate lawyers was this high? Sure, it's not medicine, but you still need to go through many years of schooling and standardized testing to get here. If undergrad business and computer science students are making 80k+ right out the gate, why would you expect anything less for corporate lawyers?

I mean, people outside the field generally have no clue what lawyers in various areas of various experience make, and what constitutes a high salary is relative and people have very different perceptions of it.

You mention some particularly lucrative undergrads (with starting salaries that are well above the natural average income) but most people are unemployable out of undergrad and can never hope to make that kind of money. And a lot of lawyers don't make BigLaw money and people could have had some exposure/insight into that first.

I don't think the OP's surprise is unreasonable at all. And it's a good attitude to have.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, CleanHands said:

I mean, people outside the field generally have no clue what lawyers in various areas of various experience make, and what constitutes a high salary is relative and people have very different perceptions of it.

You mention some particularly lucrative undergrads (with starting salaries that are well above the natural average income) but most people are unemployable out of undergrad and can never hope to make that kind of money. And a lot of lawyers don't make BigLaw money and people could have had some exposure/insight into that first.

I don't think the OP's surprise is unreasonable at all. And it's a good attitude to have.

You are correct, but even if you knew nothing at all about law, when a layperson hears about any job related to working on Bay Street, you can assume that the salary range will be quite high. It's the centre of Canada's financial services industry, so I am just surprised that OP appears to be a corporate gunner and is not aware of this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EastOT
  • Applicant
7 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

You didn't think the salary range for corporate lawyers was this high? Sure, it's not medicine, but you still need to go through many years of schooling and standardized testing to get here. If undergrad business and computer science students are making 80k+ right out the gate, why would you expect anything less for corporate lawyers?

I admittedly believe my underestimations of the salary range came from seeing lawyers complain about wages and lack of employment years ago on a sub-Reddit lmao. I did of course assume some positions paid 100k+, but assumed they were reserved for more experienced and qualified lawyers with years of practice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apple
  • Articling Student

Corporate firms aren't just Bay Street firms. Salaries at other non-bay street firms range from $40,000 - $60,000 for Articling and then $70,000 - $90,000 for first year calls. It's good to know generally what the market outside of Bay is looking like as you may not get onto Bay and or may not want to. 

As for landing a job, it's competitive enough. I never really got the sense that things were super competitive, but admittedly that was likely because I was a competitive applicant. You'll have to do very well to land on Bay but can do decently well to land jobs elsewhere. 

Edited by Apple
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.