Should I cancel my lsat test?

JoMama

JoMama
  • Law School Admit

I scored a 153 on my August LSAT and plan on retaking it in November. What I’m wondering is if I should cancel it with Score Preview. If I do it’ll say on my LSAC account “Candidate Cancellation” if I can remember correctly. What should I do?

Thrive92
  • Applicant

IIRC just about every law school in Canada looks at your highest LSAT score, regardless of whether you took it once or multiple times.

Personally, I would not spend additional money to cancel a score that I know would not be looked at.

SoIWantToBeALawyer
  • Law Student

I agree with the post above. I would only suggest cancelling if the school you're applying to takes the lowest LSAT score or the average, not even sure which (if any) schools do that. 

JoMama
  • Law School Admit
9 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

IIRC just about every law school in Canada looks at your highest LSAT score, regardless of whether you took it once or multiple times.

Personally, I would not spend additional money to cancel a score that I know would not be looked at.

The thing is I've already bought it when I first registered for the test (so for $45USD) based on the suggestion of a friend 😕

GreyDude
  • Law Student
11 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

I believe McGill takes the average of your LSAT scores, not the highest. I think another school has also recently started doing that as well, but I can't recall which one. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, JoMama said:

The thing is I've already bought it when I first registered for the test (so for $45USD) based on the suggestion of a friend 😕

yeah...welcome to the club....

you can try contacting LSAC if you can get a refund for that, but I decided to just not bother and keep it. I wont be using it mind you (unless my score is literally in the 140s) but i chalk it up to me being uninformed and thats the price I literally paid.

5 hours ago, GreyDude said:

I believe McGill takes the average of your LSAT scores, not the highest. I think another school has also recently started doing that as well, but I can't recall which one. 

I didn't know McGill looks at your LSAT scores. Didn't they say something along the lines of the lsat not being fair for french - speaking applicants and so it will not be accepted?

Then again, I've no idea about the law schools in Ontario/East, so feel free to correct me

Edited by Thrive92

GreyDude
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Thrive92 said:

I didn't know McGill looks at your LSAT scores. Didn't they say something along the lines of the lsat not being fair for french - speaking applicants and so it will not be accepted?

Then again, I've no idea about the law schools in Ontario/East, so feel free to correct me

Yes, the LSAT isn't offered in French, and since McGill both requires bilingualism and has a substantial minority of Francophone applicants, they don't require it (in fact, no Quebec law school requires the LSAT—and I don't think the French ones will even look at it if you did it). However, McGill will look at your LSAT score if you have one, and you must disclose it when you apply (failure to do so is considered a material misrepresentation and can result in an application being cancelled or an admissions offer being revoked). If you have more than one test, they take the average score. It's why, for some McGill applicants not applying outside of Québec, it's important to decide whether to take the LSAT at all and risk a low score hurting your application.  Here's the relevant page on the McGill site: https://www.mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide/lsat 

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 1