Current Master's Student Applying to Law School - i wanna drop out of the Master's program but would that look bad on my application? (help me pls)

StressedLlama

StressedLlama
  • Law School Admit

Hey guys,

I applied and got accepted into a Master's in Economics program that just started a few days ago. I loved economics in high school and so studied it in my undergrad as well. That's why I was so eager to pursue a Master's in the subject. But to my horrid surprise, this program is based intensely on heavy Algebra and Calculus which I didn't learn in my undergrad (my specific school's undergrad program did not require me to take any math courses which are now playing a vital role in the Master's program). I'm traumatized by how lost I am and am really inclined towards the option of dropping the Master's program all together (it's really playing a toll on my mental health at this point). The problem is, I mentioned my acceptance into the Master's program with a scholarship and significant funding package in my sketches and I mentioned in my various personal statements how my passion for economics led me to pursue a Master's (which is true!) and how this shows that I am someone who likes to continuously learn ... etc. etc. Also, I feel like my ECs aren't the strongest so I believed that applying as a Master's student can provide my ECs with a bit of a boost. I don't want to lose all these aspects of my application by dropping Master's. 

I really don't think I can stay enrolled in this program - it'll just be impossible for me to learn everything from scratch in a limited time frame. This thought alone makes me feel so defeated - the last thing I want is for my chances of getting into law school to diminish because I had to let go of my Master's.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with my situation? I could try to stay enrolled in the program until November 1st, but I feel like that's pointless because won't law schools know if/when I dropped out of the program? 

😞    

• Lawyer

I am very surprised you were able to graduate with an economics degree without any math requirements. Upper year econ courses at most schools involve a lot of math. Master's in econ programs are pretty much all math. 

A master's degree is a soft factor for law school admissions. I don't know anyone that dropped out of a master's program while applying to law school, but I know people that dropped out of a PhD program. You're overthinking this. The fact of the matter is that you just won't be able to handle the master's program. When you drop it is irrelevant because you need to drop it regardless. This won't matter much to law school admissions as they focus mostly on GPA and LSAT score anyways, as well as any community, work, and volunteer experiences you may have. Most people applying to law school do not have a master's degree.

Don't try to game the system because it won't work out. Drop the program now and change your sketches and personal statements before you submit them. 

СлаваУкраїні
  • Law Student

@Avatar Aang Technically, OP didn't say he got an economics degree, just that he studied economics in his undergrad. I'm guessing he just took a few of the intro courses, which is before heavy math would be required.

Or maybe he did get an econ degree, in which case whatever school he went to that doesn't require math for upper-year econ courses is running a racket.

Regardless, your advice to him is 100% on point.

• Like 1

StressedLlama
  • Law School Admit
9 minutes ago, Avatar Aang said:

I am very surprised you were able to graduate with an economics degree without any math requirements. Upper year econ courses at most schools involve a lot of math. Master's in econ programs are pretty much all math. 

A master's degree is a soft factor for law school admissions. I don't know anyone that dropped out of a master's program while applying to law school, but I know people that dropped out of a PhD program. You're overthinking this. The fact of the matter is that you just won't be able to handle the master's program. When you drop it is irrelevant because you need to drop it regardless. This won't matter much to law school admissions as they focus mostly on GPA and LSAT score anyways, as well as any community, work, and volunteer experiences you may have. Most people applying to law school do not have a master's degree.

Don't try to game the system because it won't work out. Drop the program now and change your sketches and personal statements before you submit them. 

Thanks so much for the advice!

I went to Schulich at York where I specialized in economics. Schulich didn't require me to take any math courses whereas Econ majors at York University are required to.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1