Applying to different offices at same firm

groovy1363

groovy1363
  • Law Student

Hi, 

Does anyone know if different offices in the same firm (i.e. Calgary office vs Toronto office) talk to each other? Do they share information about a candidate and whether the candidate seems more likely to select one office over another? If one office makes an offer to a student, does that influence the other office's decision to make an offer? Or do offices have separate hiring processes altogether?  

Thanks 

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I don't have any insider information on this, but I would be shocked if they didn't compare candidate lists to make sure that wasn't happening. Firms really do not want to make an offer that will get declined.

• Like 1

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

Not only do they talk to each other, some recruiters are the same person for each office.

Considering even the recruiters from different firms seem to talk, there is no question that recruiters from the same firm do.

I dont know about Calgary but I have heard that most Ottawa firms will disqualify you if you apply to their Toronto office.

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I don’t think the above responses are correct. The offices definitely talk, but it’s not some automatic disqualification to apply to multiple ones. And the recruit timelines are staggered such that the firms don’t need to worry they’re going to offer you a position in both cities and have you reject one of them. 

What is important is to be honest in your communications with the firms about your city preferences. Talking out of both sides of your mouth will get you booted from the candidate pool for both offices. 

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I don’t think the above responses are correct. The offices definitely talk, but it’s not some automatic disqualification to apply to multiple ones. And the recruit timelines are staggered such that the firms don’t need to worry they’re going to offer you a position in both cities and have you reject one of them. 

What is important is to be honest in your communications with the firms about your city preferences. Talking out of both sides of your mouth will get you booted from the candidate pool for both offices. 

Toronto, generally speaking, has the advantage of being most peoples' preferred place to work if given the choice. I think if a candidate indicates interest in both locations it's reasonable to infer that (a) they're applying broadly in Toronto and (b) if given the chance they will pick Toronto.

If you're the Belle of the ball you don't care who your date is dancing with. But if you're not, and your date is dancing with Belle, you probably care. So I guess to clarify my point, I think it could aversely affect you in Calgary, although I wouldn't say it's automatic and you may be able to overcome it with a connection to Calgary beyond "I'm hedging my bets".

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
13 minutes ago, Pantalaimon said:

Toronto, generally speaking, has the advantage of being most peoples' preferred place to work if given the choice. I think if a candidate indicates interest in both locations it's reasonable to infer that (a) they're applying broadly in Toronto and (b) if given the chance they will pick Toronto.

If you're the Belle of the ball you don't care who your date is dancing with. But if you're not, and your date is dancing with Belle, you probably care. So I guess to clarify my point, I think it could aversely affect you in Calgary, although I wouldn't say it's automatic and you may be able to overcome it with a connection to Calgary beyond "I'm hedging my bets".

I’m not talking from a Toronto perspective, though. I know many, many people who applied to the same firms in multiple cities—including Vancouver, Calgary, and Ottawa—who went on to receive offers from those firms in the non-Toronto city. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nayaab05
  • Lawyer

I know of at least one firm that will not look at your application for their ottawa office, if you also applied to their toronto office. Worth asking articling students or speaking with the student recruiter at the firm to confirm. 

• Like 1