Need GPA and LSAT addendum?

atarack

atarack
  • Applicant

I am an international student.

My family is currently in trial which distracted me a lot from LSAT.

Moreover, my English was a real obstacle in solving LSAT questions.

I got low GPA in two semesters and have reasons for that.

Do you recommend me to submit unrequired GPA and LSAT addendum?

Renerik
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, atarack said:

my English was a real obstacle in solving LSAT questions

This is a poor reason, and that's coming from a Franco. The LSAT is partly and English literacy test.

atarack
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, Rashabon said:

Is this a troll account? You got a 167 and are thinking of submitting an addendum about your LSAT?

No, actually I am serious. I was considering LSAT addendum but my focus in addendum was on GPA, rather than LSAT.

(I talked about LSAT addendum because 7 sage in its website talked about LSAT addendum.)

I just wanted to ask some advice here. 

Moreover, I am really worried about possible discrimination that many people in my country claim to exist.(I don't know whether it really exist.)

Please don't be offended by my post. I just wanted to be prepared and maximize my chances of admission because, when considering my circumstances and my international student status, there is not much chance to apply for Canadian law school.(Maybe this cycle would be the only possible cycle that I could apply. After this year, it may be impossible for me to apply.)

I am always glad to get advice.

8 hours ago, Renerik said:

This is a poor reason, and that's coming from a Franco. The LSAT is partly and English literacy test.

Thank you for your advice. I am sure now to discard my option to send LSAT addendum.

I talked about it because 7 sage considered such an option in its website.

Would you mind if I ask your opinion about GPA addendum as well?

I believe your opinion would be really helpful. 

Edited by atarack

cherrytree
  • Lawyer

Disclaimer: I'm not sure the LSAT/GPA addendum was a thing when I applied to law school in 2017 and I've never heard of it or how it works before reading this post.

Hi OP, since you posted in the UofT sub-forum, I assume you are particularly interested in applying to UofT. Given the information and background you've share so far, I think it is probably a good idea for you to write the 2500 word optional essay where you can explain your family circumstances and the lower grades you had in two semesters. I think the optional essay might be a more reasonable place to explain your extenuating circumstances than the LSAT/GPA addendum.

• Like 1

Hi, OP.  To my knowledge, an addendum is only for US law schools. In Canada, you'd have to touch on this topic in your personal statement or optional essay. Some schools will ask you if there are any circumstances or something you'd like the admissions committee to know about that's relevant to your application. In that section, I would explain the reasons for a low/average GPA in the two semesters. Don't focus on too much about it, maybe less than a paragraph, but focus on why you'd be a good law student, explain your extra curriculars and how those experiences will benefit the law school community, etc.  When writing your personal statement make sure you check for spelling, grammar, etc.

Good luck!

• Like 1

atarack
  • Applicant
On 9/19/2021 at 4:21 AM, cherrytree said:

Disclaimer: I'm not sure the LSAT/GPA addendum was a thing when I applied to law school in 2017 and I've never heard of it or how it works before reading this post.

Hi OP, since you posted in the UofT sub-forum, I assume you are particularly interested in applying to UofT. Given the information and background you've share so far, I think it is probably a good idea for you to write the 2500 word optional essay where you can explain your family circumstances and the lower grades you had in two semesters. I think the optional essay might be a more reasonable place to explain your extenuating circumstances than the LSAT/GPA addendum.

Thank you for your reply.
I am already working for optional essay.

I will definitely consider that when writing it.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, jimmyjimjim said:

Hi, OP.  To my knowledge, an addendum is only for US law schools. In Canada, you'd have to touch on this topic in your personal statement or optional essay. Some schools will ask you if there are any circumstances or something you'd like the admissions committee to know about that's relevant to your application. In that section, I would explain the reasons for a low/average GPA in the two semesters. Don't focus on too much about it, maybe less than a paragraph, but focus on why you'd be a good law student, explain your extra curriculars and how those experiences will benefit the law school community, etc.  When writing your personal statement make sure you check for spelling, grammar, etc.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply.

Reading your advice, I think I should focus more on my extra curriculars as there are tones of them which made me impossible to write all of them in my essays.

Thanks for the advice!