Which is Better? Work Phone or Personal Phone with Monthly Credit

Ramesses

Hi everyone!

The firm I am articling at is offering us a work iPhone or a monthly credit if we use our own iPhone. Any thoughts on the pros and cons for both?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ramesses
grammar

I have the choice, and take a monthly credit to use my own phone. I don't like carrying two phones. Plus I'm the guy who advises security on whether they can search an employee's phone and for what, so I am somewhat confident in our policies in that respect.

• Thanks 1

I used my personal phone for work until recently, and I now much prefer having a separate work phone. I like being able to put work away if I’m doing something personal. When I had everything on the same phone, I didn’t unplug. If I needed to bring my phone to meet a friend or go for a walk, I’d be checking emails and seeing client calls. Getting a reprieve from that is nice.

Although it sounds like some firms don’t like their students to unplug, in which case, I’d take the credit.

• Thanks 1

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

If you practice family law or criminal defence, NEVER NEVER NEVER use your personal phone.

Work phone always! I leave my work phone in the office and only take it with me to court.

• Thanks 1

I did the 2 phones for a while and it was a hassle, so ended up getting the work phone and using it as my personal one too. Up until COVID I never gave out my cel number to clients or opposing counsel so didn’t have to deal with fielding work calls on it, just emails. More people have my cell now due to working from home, but people have been respectful of not calling outside normal work hours. 

• Thanks 1

I have a phone that can do two lines (I think all the iPhone models after 11 can). I have my work phone and personal phone in one but using separate lines so I can turn one off as needed and still carry a single device. I hate having to carry multiple phones. During articling, I kept my work phone at the office and forwarded it to my personal cell out of protest at the thought of having a second thing to carry around.

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Ya’ll gotta find the jobs that don’t give you email access on your phone. That’s the key to happiness—lack of employer trust. 

Mountebank
  • Lawyer

I use one phone for both, but clients don't have my cell number so it's just emails (which I don't typically answer after hours anyway).

But I'm a sole, so the calculus is different.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:08 PM, Ryn said:

I have a phone that can do two lines (I think all the iPhone models after 11 can). I have my work phone and personal phone in one but using separate lines so I can turn one off as needed and still carry a single device. 

I had absolutely no idea this was a thing. Huh.  

5 hours ago, Blurg said:

I had absolutely no idea this was a thing. Huh.  

One thing to note is that the second line on the iPhone is an eSIM, so you need to deal with the carrier when you set it up (it’s not like just transferring a physical SIM card). Not a big deal ultimately but it does take some effort. There are android phones that have, for example, 2 SIM card slots if you prefer that over an eSIM.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Bob Jones
  • Lawyer
On 9/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, Ramesses said:

Hi everyone!

The firm I am articling at is offering us a work iPhone or a monthly credit if we use our own iPhone. Any thoughts on the pros and cons for both?

Thanks in advance!

I have the same situation, I decided on the monthly credit. I prefer to have the flexibility to shop around for new promotions and to move carriers when it suits me. If I went with my firm, I would be stuck with their plan and would not have the flexibility to move around. I also like the option to shop for new phones when I feel like it, rather then being stuck with whatever they give me. Plus if you leave firms then you have to deal with the hassle of getting off their company plan to then take your phone/plan elsewhere. Downside is the monthly credit is technically reported as income on your T4, so it's taxable but even if it's an extra $1,500.00/year, that's going to make a nominal difference to your taxes. 

• 3 weeks later...
easttowest
  • Lawyer

Take the credit. I just had to get a second phone and it’s fucking terrible. My personal plan is 3x better than the work plan too. 

Just know that you may not get the credit option once you’re hired back. Not knowing that is how I ended up in this place to begin with…

Edited by easttowest