Formalities in Law personal statements

Legal and Regal

Legal and Regal
  • Applicant

I'm currently writing my personal statement, and one of the things I'm unsure of is whether to begin my statement with "Dear Admissions committee" (or something along those lines), and end it with "thank you for considering my application.... sincerely, XYZ". McGill is my first choice, so advice from anyone who applied there would be great, but also I'm sure the rules/norms are similar throughout Canada. With a 750 word limit, I would rather not waste words on formalities that may not even matter... 

Did anyone begin and/or end their personal statement with something formal? Or just like an essay without a title?

I'd appreciate anyone's input, but preferably from people who got into a Canadian law school 🙂 

Whist
  • Law Student

Formalities aren't necessary. I just launched in at the beginning and ended where I wanted to end and it didn't impact my ability to get offers. I think on one or two I may have included my name at the top but the majority I didn't.

Legal and Regal
  • Applicant
10 hours ago, Whist said:

Formalities aren't necessary. I just launched in at the beginning and ended where I wanted to end and it didn't impact my ability to get offers. I think on one or two I may have included my name at the top but the majority I didn't.

So to confirm, you didn't end with a "thank you for considering me" type sentence? Thank you, and congrats on your offers!

I got into Canadian law schools, I didn't include any salutation or any "thank you for considering me" type conclusion. There's so little room in your personal statements, I wouldn't waste space on that.

Whist
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Legal and Regal said:

So to confirm, you didn't end with a "thank you for considering me" type sentence? Thank you, and congrats on your offers!

Correct. I ended with some variation of "I believe [insert very brief summary of skills I mentioned throughout my statement] would make me a good member of your student body." It was part of my last paragraph, not framed like a formal letter.

• Like 1