Will discussing Mental health problems (ADHD, Anxiety) in my personal statements Negatively impact my application?

Jk1997

This question has come up before and I'm linking it as I am currently on mobile and can't type very well.  The general advice is that it will not impact you negatively as long as you have sought treatment or have it under control otherwise. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZineZ said:

This question has come up before and I'm linking it as I am currently on mobile and can't type very well.  The general advice is that it will not impact you negatively as long as you have sought treatment or have it under control otherwise. 

Thanks for your response. I was just wondering if I should provide documentation to support my diagnosis, or if schools can request documentation, as one may be uncomfortable giving such documentation to others.

9 hours ago, Jk1997 said:

Thanks for your response. I was just wondering if I should provide documentation to support my diagnosis, or if schools can request documentation, as one may be uncomfortable giving such documentation to others.

It depends on why you're planning to mention it. Are you making an access claim or trying to explain performances from before your diagnosis/any potential treatment? 

I can't remember if AdComm ever asked for documentation when I sat on it for Osgoode, but i certainly encountered files where he applicant had provided some documentation themselves (ie a letter from a doctor). You may want to call one of the schools you're interested in and see what they say about the documentation bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jk1997 said:

Not an access claim, I'm just talking about it in relation to overcoming adversity and explain improvement in performance 

That's a valid place to use it. I can't really give you firm advice on whether to include documentation, I'd reach out to one of the schools and ask them about their preference on that front. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
On 9/22/2021 at 11:00 AM, ZineZ said:

Are you making an access claim or trying to explain performances from before your diagnosis/any potential treatment? 

Could you explain the difference?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
58 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Could you explain the difference?

An access claim involves formally applying in a separate category meant to give consideration to candidates whose stats don't necessarily align with their potential as a result of events outside their control or difficulties - medical issues, difficult circumstances, etc.

The other is just explaining in your personal statement that your grades were X and now they are X+ and so your condition is no longer hampering you and likewise your pre-diagnosis/treatment stats are not properly indicative of your potential.

• Like 1