Former Minister of Justice and Attorney General

Oilers fan

I worked with a Former Minister of Justice and Attorney General (X). Before I approach him to ask if he can be my reference, does it make a difference or perhaps perceived differently if LOR makes from a particular individual?

King of Queens
  • Law Student

If he's a person you actually had a working relationship with, akin to a normal boss or a prof then I would do it.

What I wouldn't do is try to overemphasize my relationship with him and end submitting a substandard letter of reference that makes it obvious he didn't know you and an aide wrote it.

For some reference, my references were from a random law grad I worked for and a few profs which gave substandard letters I'm sure and I still got into Queen's.

Edited by King of Queens

What matters a lot more than how "impressive" a referee may seem is how well they can actually speak to your skills and character. It's very obvious when someone writes a reference for an applicant they don't know well. The admissions committee is more likely to look favourably on a reference letter that is specific and personal to you than one that's generic but written by a name they recognize.

• Like 1