Off-Topic Access

undertheletter

undertheletter
  • Law Student

I remember the old forum made off-topic posts either inaccessible for a certain period for new users or at least not viewable to guests/non-members. 

Is it possible to institute something similar on this new site? I think that lurkers looking for law school/career advice have to scroll through a lot of off-topic discussion (in the activity stream) to find the info they might be looking for…I say this after someone I know (who was viewing as a guest) asked me why our forum is filled with so much unrelated political discussion. 

(This isn’t really a big issue, but I thought it warrants consideration)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, undertheletter said:

I remember the old forum made off-topic posts either inaccessible for a certain period for new users or at least not viewable to guests/non-members. 

Is it possible to institute something similar on this new site? I think that lurkers looking for law school/career advice have to scroll through a lot of off-topic discussion (in the activity stream) to find the info they might be looking for…I say this after someone I know (who was viewing as a guest) asked me why our forum is filled with so much unrelated political discussion. 

(This isn’t really a big issue, but I thought it warrants consideration)

Thanks for the suggestion. The mod team has in fact discussed this before, though we have not decided to act one way or another, but we think it makes sense to implement moving forward. The off-topic section has been restricted to members only, though guests can still see the topic list (accessing a post will prompt guests to register an account or log in). This also has the effect of removing off-topic posts from the guest activity feed.

• Like 2