Windsor Vs. Lakehead (Bora Laskin)

lawnoob

lawnoob
  • Law School Admit

Hi Folks

I have been accepted into Windsor and Bora Laskin. I am a resident of the Greater Toronto Area.

What would you say is the better school? I like that fact that one doesn't have to do articleship after graduation in Bora Laskin so you essentially save 8 months. You still get to have the on job experience but that is 4 months and during the third year at Bora Laskin. 

Would really appreciate your thoughts!

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

What are your career goals post-graduation? Do you have a sense of the type of law you want to practice and where you'd like to live?

Most employers have a preference for students who follow the traditional articling route. Depending on your career goals, it might not be as big of a factor.

Edited by canuckfanatic

lawnoob
  • Law School Admit

For the sake of argument, would you say that Bay Street and other big law firms prefer one over the other? I want to be self-employed in the long term but to do that I do have to learn through employment first. Right now i'm excited to learn different areas of law without preference for a particular area. 

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
13 minutes ago, lawnoob said:

would you say that Bay Street and other big law firms prefer one over the other?

Yes. If you get hired in the Bay Street recruit during law school, you'll have to follow the traditional articling path. They literally hire for articling positions. If you forgo the student recruit and apply after you complete the placement program at Lakehead, these same big firms would probably give preference to people who were trained via traditional articling.

Significantly more Windsor students are hired by large firms than Lakehead. Lakehead has smaller classes with more students interested in working in rural Ontario. This doesn't speak to your odds of landing a job at a big firm as a Lakehead student.

If you want to start your career at a big firm in Toronto, Windsor would cater more to that goal than Lakehead.

Edited by canuckfanatic

lawnoob
  • Law School Admit

Thank you for the feedback! It seems 1L courses are pretty similar in both schools, but there is much more freedom to choose electives in 2L and 3L at Windsor. I've good things about Windsor's placement office. The location is more feasible for me as a South Ontarian.