Should I give up my acceptance at Windsor Law?

ariiii

ariiii
  • Applicant

I know this is probably a stupid questions however I just got put on the Queen's law waitlist this morning, and was put on the UOttawa waitlist early last week. From what I've heard on July 1st my provisionally accepted offer will become firm at Windsor (correct me if im wrong). I would much much rather go to Queens as it is obviously the better school however I know this is a risky move, just wanted to get some advice from others on what I should do? 

tobi
  • Law School Admit

Are you okay with striking out this cycle? Like, that's the worst case scenario. In the event that you don't get off Queen's and Ottawa's waitlists..

If you're okay with striking out this cycle, then yeah, go give up your acceptance. If you absolutely need to go to law school next September (because of whatever personal reasons you may have), then you shouldn't give it up. (Pro-tip: it's okay to do another cycle - lots of people do that.) 

Edited by tobi

1 hour ago, ariiii said:

I would much much rather go to Queens as it is obviously the better school

Much hinges upon this aspect of your post. What jumps out at me is the "obviously".

You're not talking about the difference between Harvard and Florida Coastal here. Queen's is not so obviously better than Windsor by such a wide margin that this situation would clearly merit the gamble. If this were 2008 and I were in your situation, I'd go to Windsor.

On the other hand, if you're very confident that Queen's would be the better school for you, and it's really where you want to be, and it's worth the gamble for you, and you'd rather have some shot at Queen's than a guarantee of Windsor, that's 100% legit.

ETA: I guess what hits me about your post and what compelled me to reply is that "it is obviously the better school" could be the result of your own research into how its offerings dovetail with your own interests, but, I don't know, I'm getting a vibe that there's some received wisdom happening here. It would suck to give up a seat at Windsor for a shot at Queen's because you heard from some guy on Reddit that Queen's is way better, only to wake up ten years later and think, "Damn, Windsor would have been a way better fit for me."

Edited by Yogurt Baron
  • Like 3

cptn_Canuck
  • Law School Admit

Also depends on where you want to live for 3 years. I was in a somewhat similar situation last year choosing between Dal or waiting for the Ontario cycle in the fall. I chose to wait as I wanted to live in Ottawa. It did end up working out for me as I got into UOttawa, but that is a risk you would have to hedge. 

• Like 2

Rigel
  • Law Student

You can definitely wait for Queens or uOttawa. But I highly suggest you go to Windsor if it doesn't work out. Windsor is a fine school and has a decent number of students placed in Toronto. At the end of the day, you will find out that your grades and your personal experience matter more than the reputation of schools.

• Like 3