Will taking an extra year of classes affect my application?

JoMama

JoMama
  • Law School Admit

So I am a fourth year student and I was planning on applying to law school this cycle, however (due to some unforeseen circumstances) I do not have the LSAT score I need and I was ill-informed on how much actual law school applications would be. For that reason and many others, I have decided I won't be applying this cycle, but the next. During this "gap year" I plan on continuing school (so I can stay covered by my parents' insurance), gaining more volunteering experience, and working. I am in the interdisciplinary arts and science program with a major in biology and minor in political science and the head of the program said I could turn my minor into a major by taking 6 more classes throughout the year, so likely 3 a semester depending on when classes are offered.

By the 2022 application cycle, I will have my fourth year grades to use, completed a thesis, and would have a better letter of reference from my thesis advisor. I am wondering how law schools will look at my extra year and if it will negatively affect my chances of acceptance.

Thrive92
  • Applicant

It depends on which law school you are planning on applying, as the policy for courses taken as an unclassified student and its effects on your gpa calculations differ from school to school.

Do you have a particular school/schools in mind?

• Like 1

JoMama
  • Law School Admit
12 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

It depends on which law school you are planning on applying, as the policy for courses taken as an unclassified student and its effects on your gpa calculations differ from school to school.

Do you have a particular school/schools in mind?

Most Ontario schools (except Ryerson) and Dalhousie

Thrive92
  • Applicant
9 hours ago, JoMama said:

Most Ontario schools (except Ryerson) and Dalhousie

Sorry friend, but I dont know anything about law schools in Ontario.

I'm sure you can find the policies for each law school in their respective websites though. If you can't, you can also email them as well.

Good luck

• Like 1

Electricity
  • Law Student

Are you hoping for your fifth year grades to boost your L2/B2 GPA? If so, make sure you take some electives and not just three courses per semester. If you want the grades from this extra year reflected in your GPA, many schools require you to be studying full time. 

JoMama
  • Law School Admit
On 9/30/2021 at 9:27 PM, Electricity said:

Are you hoping for your fifth year grades to boost your L2/B2 GPA? If so, make sure you take some electives and not just three courses per semester. If you want the grades from this extra year reflected in your GPA, many schools require you to be studying full time. 

No I’m not, I’m only taking classes to stay on my parent’s insurance as I’m unable to apply this cycle. So instead of graduating this year, I’ll take 6 more classes next year to turn my minor into a major.