How hard is it for an international student to graduate -> obtain a work visa -> article

Van

Hello!

I am planning on applying to UBC, UofA, UofC law this year, but I noticed a lack of information for international applicants. I have a few questions and your insights will be greatly appreciated!

1. What is the percentage of international students at your school (a rough estimate will do)? 

2. Are international students at a significant disadvantage when it comes to obtaining an articling position then subsequently working as a lawyer?

3. How open is Canadian society to foreigners? I know that immigration is relatively easier compared to the US, but I am more curious about the way locals view and accept foreigners? 

Thanks in advance.

On 9/28/2021 at 7:43 PM, Jay said:

1. What is the percentage of international students at your school (a rough estimate will do)? 

Based on the 2017 and 2018 prospectus', the University of Alberta Faculty of Law had 9 international students among regular admits in 2017 and 5 in 2018.

https://issuu.com/lawcomm/docs/ulaw_prospectus_2017-18_proof.26fi

https://issuu.com/lawcomm/docs/law_student_prospectus_5_-_for_dean

The demographic survey from 2020 shows other information about the law students at the U of A. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A48xMZSuqL5E5LV39MM9oc-5GeZVlKis/view

2. Are international students at a significant disadvantage when it comes to obtaining an articling position then subsequently working as a lawyer?

You'll want to be able to explain why you aren't a flight risk if it comes up in interviews. This applies to anyone applying to a job in a city where they did not grow up. Basically you'll need to be able to explain why you're interested in working in a particular city and explain what connections you have to the city and explain your short term career goals. I was grilled pretty hard on this as an out of province student. It's a disadvantage, but I don't think it's insurmountable. 

Other students with more experience with this issue may be able to provide more information.

3. How open is Canadian society to foreigners? I know that immigration is relatively easier compared to the US, but I am more curious about the way locals view and accept foreigners? 

Around 20-25% of Canadians are first generation which means that they were not born in Canada but have immigrated here. Another 15%~ are second generation, meaning one or more of their parents are immigrants. Canada's not perfect, but it's reliably one of the most accepting countries for immigrants in the world based on polling.

That's not to say there is no racism or xenophobia. People who immigrated here may be able to provide more information. I don't have personal experience.

Edited by Toad
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 2:23 AM, peppyparadox said:

International student here, if you don't mind me asking what range are your stats in?

Hey nice to see another international here 🙂 I have a 3.5-3.6 GPA and an LSAT score in the low 170s. 

peppyparadox
On 10/4/2021 at 10:51 PM, Jay said:

Hey nice to see another international here 🙂 I have a 3.5-3.6 GPA and an LSAT score in the low 170s. 

Hey same, that's great! all the best!

bearrrhunter
  • Law Student

I know many international students who are non-native English speakers with decent grades end up in big law firms or decent mid size firms.  Of course they have to work extra hard comparing to their local colleagues due to some language or cultural barriers, but overall  large to mid size Canadian law firms are still relatively fair in terms of recruiting. i.e. if you have a decent grade and relevant EC experience, you can land somewhere in a decent firm, it's just you need to spend extra time preparing your interview, or building your network from scratch etc.

If you've been in NA for a long time or if you are from a English speaking country then the transition would be even easier for you. 

I was in one of the school you mentioned so if you are interested you can PM me.

Edited by bearrrhunter
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:43 PM, Jay said:

Hello!

I am planning on applying to UBC, UofA, UofC law this year, but I noticed a lack of information for international applicants. I have a few questions and your insights will be greatly appreciated!

I didn't go to UBC, UofA, or UofC but there weren't many at my school (Queen's). Only two that I can think of. However, at some schools like McGill, there are actually a significant number of international students. For example, many people from the US go to McGill for law school for the lower tuition. I've also known a few international students from Asia and South Asia at Osgoode. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:43 PM, Jay said:

If your goal is to work in big law, it probably won't be a significant disadvantage. They'll be more concerned with your grades and previous experience. There are people in my articling cohort who were international students. The one thing you do want to watch out for is the timing for your PR application. I believe you need a full-time job offer to apply for PR but articling is only a 10-month contract. My understanding is you get a 3-year work permit following law school (could be wrong about that if anyone wants to fact check) so just watch out for the timing. 

One area where you would be disadvantaged is if you're interested in clerking. Most Courts state that preference is given for Canadian citizens or Canadian citizens and permanent residents. 

When it comes to smaller firms, I really have no idea. I'd imagine in that case, they might be more concerned about whether you're a flight risk. There's also a lot of variation in what smaller firms look for in general, and some lawyers making those hiring decisions will be more open to foreigners than others. 

Edited by QMT20
  • Like 1