Rant - Extremely frustrated with PREP (and legal education in general)

CleanHands

epeeist
  • Lawyer

I at least partly agree, in principle, that law shouldn't be a graduate degree - I'd prefer basic bachelor but maybe compromise is entry after 1 or 2 years another undergrad - and it should be comparable in price to other undergrad degrees. It's a manufactured artificial price and scarcity and antithetical to access to justice (which is about legal education not just availability of legal advice, and also, making it harder and more expensive to go to law school = part of why need to charge more to clients).

• Like 2

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

PREP is a joke.

The intention to deliver useful legal training was there, I want to believe it was, but the execution was poor. The legal software training and summer Education modules are "cheatable", the Virtual Firm offers no interaction, and the assessment of tasks involving Province-specific legislation is often done by non-Provincial lawyers. And don't get me started on the piss poor attempt at address TRC calls to action. Answer a few m/c quiz questions in July, tell the program you're not a racist, and collect your ticket. 

That said, I do feel that the final assessment week is valuable. Being able to conduct research, prepare legal submissions, and draft applications on short notice are the bread and butter of lawyering - and being able to do so accurately and of sufficient presenting quality are fair requirements. 

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, Phaedrus said:

The intention to deliver useful legal training was there, I want to believe it was, but the execution was poor

I even question the intention, simply because a lot of the way student opportunities to give feedback are structured implicitly seem to discourage providing negative feedback. For example, in the foundation modules if you provide a low score in feedback you are required to submit an explanation, which is not required if you submit a high score. And then in the workshops people are asked to give feedback on whether various assignments were useful, in a virtual classroom with 30 other students and two instructors present. So of course everyone just says "yes" to move along and not create conflict and have to explain and defend themselves. When I or others were critical on certain specific points we were basically shut down (including when students pointed out unclear aspects of the material and the instructors just--incorrectly--denied that such features of the materials existed).

Edited by CleanHands

GreyDude
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, CleanHands said:

This career does not need an undergrad degree first.
A JD does not need to be 3 years long.
The bar course is an extremely irritating waste of time and effort.

I won't speak to the other two points, but for Civil Law schools Québec (and McGill too, though it's complicated), the basic qualification is Cégep. Since QC high school ends at grade 11 and followed immediately by Cégep, which is is 2 years long (for pre-university programs), this can be thought of as roughly equivalent to getting into law school after doing well in your first year of university in other provinces. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, GreyDude said:

I won't speak to the other two points, but for Civil Law schools Québec (and McGill too, though it's complicated), the basic qualification is Cégep. Since QC high school ends at grade 11 and followed immediately by Cégep, which is is 2 years long (for pre-university programs), this can be thought of as roughly equivalent to getting into law school after doing well in your first year of university in other provinces. 

Yes, similarly it's a first entry degree in the UK of course. And somehow their legal system seems to function just fine.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

UK’s system is honestly better than ours, at least for commercial law. Especially if you think, as I do, that the split profession is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I'm not sure the UK is helpful to your cause, since they have a 1 year full-time bar course after law school. I would be shocked if there weren't similar complaints about their version of the bar course. Although googling it now it looks like they introduced a bar-exam style qualification route with two years of articling.

PulpFiction
  • Lawyer
8 hours ago, CleanHands said:

90% of what we do is not more complex and doesn't require more education than, say, being an IT guy. 

I hope my family and friends don't figure this out - this lawyer gig is the only thing I've got going for me. 

• Like 1

epeeist
  • Lawyer
On 9/29/2021 at 5:49 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

UK’s system is honestly better than ours, at least for commercial law. Especially if you think, as I do, that the split profession is a good thing. 

With some solicitors having rights of appearance, haven't England and Wales been moving away albeit slowly from a split bar? Not to be snide, but because of e.g. Scottish law differences, I'm a bit hesitant to refer to the "UK" system.

And, except for 6 specific reserved areas (including conducting litigation), non-lawyers may give legal advice - if we're looking at improvements, I see that as an extraordinarily unlikely, but in principle welcome step.

Psmith
  • Lawyer
On 9/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, Pantalaimon said:

I'm not sure the UK is helpful to your cause, since they have a 1 year full-time bar course after law school. I would be shocked if there weren't similar complaints about their version of the bar course. Although googling it now it looks like they introduced a bar-exam style qualification route with two years of articling.

I believe the one year course comes after undergrad only, which need not have been in law (!). So the example of the UK very much supports OP's argument for a "one year black letter law 'boot camp'". 

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

You can seriously get called in the UK having never done a law degree (even their undergraduate one)? I find that a bit hard to believe.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
21 minutes ago, Pantalaimon said:

You can seriously get called in the UK having never done a law degree (even their undergraduate one)? I find that a bit hard to believe.

As of about a month ago. The requirements to become a solicitor in England and Wales are now: 

have a degree in any subject or equivalent level 6 qualification

pass both stages of the SQE assessment

two years' full-time (or equivalent) qualifying work experience

pass our character and suitability requirements.

To become a barrister you still need either a law degree or a graduate diploma in law, although once you're qualified as a solicitor you can become a barrister relatively easily by either completing a pupillage or passing an assessment and applying to transfer.

3 hours ago, epeeist said:

With some solicitors having rights of appearance, haven't England and Wales been moving away albeit slowly from a split bar? Not to be snide, but because of e.g. Scottish law differences, I'm a bit hesitant to refer to the "UK" system.

And, except for 6 specific reserved areas (including conducting litigation), non-lawyers may give legal advice - if we're looking at improvements, I see that as an extraordinarily unlikely, but in principle welcome step.

Yes, it's more of a permeable membrane than a strict wall, these days. That said, most solicitors don't seem to bother obtaining the higher rights of audience available—it's a fair chunk of change and effort if you're at a firm that is going to prefer instructing a barrister anyways. Plus solicitors earn more, long term, so there's not a ton of incentive to cut into the lower comped barrister work.

The really interesting thing about the UK is that they let law-adjacent fields transfer into the profession pretty easily. I'm all for letting non-lawyers do more legal work (particularly paralegals), but imagine the access to justice gains we would have if we gave paralegals a path to being called.