Looking for relevant work/volunteer suggestions

Blzd

Hi,

I graduated from undergrad some time ago. GPA was pretty good, but it has now been too long to ask previous professors for references. I had trouble getting a first job, but with an 8 month college certificate in ESL, did hold a teaching position for 3 years.  I had thought about doing law school, not because I had nothing else to do, as there are other options (might also consider marketing degree or Information science), but because I really liked spending time going through LSAT prep books.  I never wrote the LSAT, but think at the very least, I have a fairly solid understanding. 

Anyways, even after 3 years, the ESL company still didn't give me a letter of reference. 

I think I still might be able to get some type of job without it, but was thinking it might be useful to look for more work or some volunteering first, and target my search based on my aforementioned interests.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.  

Edited by Blzd

• Blzd changed the title to Looking for relevant work/volunteer suggestions
cherrytree
  • Lawyer

Just a word of caution, the kind of learning in law school and the sort of exams/assignments you will receive in law school are nothing like what the LSAT is. It would be a good idea to take a dive into the threads on the forum here and look into other resources to get a better understanding of what law school entails and whether it is something you will enjoy doing for 3 years.

Law school admissions committees don't necessarily score higher the applicants who have had law-related experiences. If your motivation for finding new volunteer/work positions is mainly to get a good reference from a supervisor or mentor, you might want to ask yourself first what you are passionate about and what you would like to do to give back to your community while building up these relationships that may lead to a good reference eventually.

• Like 2