Do Law Firms generally like Real Estate Agents who are in law school?

AdamColtPagetheThird

AdamColtPagetheThird
  • Law Student

I just figure that with your real estate license, there's always the possibility of you doing business on the side and I wonder if law firms look at it as an interference to your legal work. I was looking to apply to an articling position, but I'm concerned this may be a negative in my application. 

Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, AdamColtPagetheThird said:

I just figure that with your real estate license, there's always the possibility of you doing business on the side and I wonder if law firms look at it as an interference to your legal work. I was looking to apply to an articling position, but I'm concerned this may be a negative in my application. 

Lol, no. Good luck balancing a corporate law job with a real estate gig. Almost everyone I know working in Big law work every day of the week from morning to late evening/night. You won't have the time to pick up a side hustle.

Even outside of Big law, most junior lawyers don't have time for side hustles. You may be underestimating the amount of hours required of you. 

Edited by Pendragon

PulpFiction
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, AdamColtPagetheThird said:

I don't know about the possibility of doing business on the side, that'll likely be difficult with your responsibilities as an articling student. When you're a bit more established, maybe you could use it to close a deal here and there. For some reason all of my CPA buddies are real estate agents on the side, and they seem to make it work. I wouldn't bank on it early on in your legal career, though. 

I can't see how having work experience could hurt you on articling application. You could probably spin that sales experience in many beneficial ways to most employers. If you feel it's necessary, let them know you're going to keep your license active but will not be working as a real estate agent. This is assuming you have some experience as a real estate agent. If you just got the license and didn't do anything with it, maybe leave it off - it could signal that you're unsure of what you want and you might leave to pursue opportunities in real estate if things don't go your way in the legal world.

Edited by PulpFiction

abogada
  • Lawyer

If you plan on doing real estate as a side hustle during articling, then yes, I think law firms would like at this negatively. When you are an articling student, the firm basically owns your ass. To them, the time you are spending doing real estate is time you should have been spending doing work for the firm.