Chance me 3.72 cGPA, 3.96 B2/L2, 3.72 B3 w/ LSAT Next Week

ramoj

Hella nervous about writing LSAT next week. Finding serenity in others opinions about chances for Western/Ottawa/Queens/Osgoode/Toronto and UBC. Applying access/discretionary where possible with a diagnosed disability indicating therapy and sports as proxies for my upward GPA.

Have contemplated waiting a year as my B3 would around 3.9+ if my grades remain as they do in my B2/L2.

Advice/thoughts wanted 

PT range is 150-153 rn 😞  sad

Edited by jomar

ClarkGriswold
  • Applicant

Scoring a 150-153 regardless of your access/discretionary reasoning puts you in a difficult place to get accepted at the schools you have listed. The lowest median LSAT scores among the schools you intend to apply to are Queens and uOttawa which are both around a 160. 

I don’t know what the process is surrounding changing a writing date, but if your timelines allow you to do so, I would recommend following through with that and writing at a later date with additional studying time on your side. If that is not an option, and you end up actually scoring in the 150-153 range, your best odds of acceptance would be at Windsor Dual.

Scoring in the high 150’s to low 160’s would significantly help your competitiveness at most of the schools you have listed.

Edited by ClarkGriswold
  • Like 2

Yogurt Baron
7 hours ago, jomar said:

Finding serenity in others opinions about chances

Yeah, good luck with that.

I don't want to be too much of an asshole, because I've seen folks get admitted access with very low LSAT scores. It is something that can happen. (Feeling serene yet?) But those are truly, truly exceptional circumstances, in which the disability impaired performance on the LSAT in very obvious ways. So it depends not just on the quality of your access claim in some broad sense, but on the specifics of your access claim (which isn't information I'm trying to solicit). It isn't impossible. But your chances aren't great with a 150 LSAT unless you've got one hell of an access claim.

I, personally, if I could do it all again, would not have tried applying to law school until my stats were competitive, which a 150 LSAT is not. I agree with Clark that not writing until you're PTing higher might be a good idea.

But if you're committed to trying it this year, well, do the best you can and see how it goes. I do absolutely wish you (and all access applicants) the best of luck. But it'll be tough sledding.

Edited by Yogurt Baron
  • Like 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer

Sorry to say, but this LSAT range is not competitive for UBC, even the discretionary category (which is not all that far off stats-wise from the regular category). 

• Like 1

peppyparadox
11 hours ago, Psychometronic said:

Sorry to say, but this LSAT range is not competitive for UBC, even the discretionary category (which is not all that far off stats-wise from the regular category). 

What would you consider competitive for UBC? 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
11 minutes ago, peppyparadox said:

With a perfect undergrad GPA (or close to it) and being in the discretionary or Indigenous category you may be able to get in with an LSAT score in the high 150s (although the vast majority of UBC admits have scores in the 160s and the median for admitted students is 166, which is a 93rd percentile score). That's the lowest kind of score that I think would be plausible for admission. There is a world of difference between a score in the low 150s and high 150s though (around 50th percentile vs around 75th percentile); to put it bluntly the OP isn't even close at this point.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

OP seems to be applying to some of the most competitive law schools in the country with the mindset that an access claim would mitigate the low LSAT score. Unless you have documentation that specifically states you cannot perform well on the LSAT/standardized testing AND are unable to get suitable accommodations (i.e. longer testing time, more breaks, etc.), then it won't work. The stats to be accepted through any Access/Discretionary categories is not far off from the General category. See this class profile as an example.

https://law.queensu.ca/programs/jd/class-stats.

General Category - Average LSAT Highest Score - 160

Access Category - Average LSAT Highest Score - 159

General Category - Average Best 2 Years' Average - 3.73

Access Category - Average Best 2 Years' Average - 3.63

% of class admitted in the General Category - 87%

% of class admitted in the Access Category - 13%

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, peppyparadox said:

https://allard.ubc.ca/programs/juris-doctor-jd-program/frequently-asked-questions

"There is no specific minimum LSAT score or CGPA that is required to apply, but higher scores will make your application more competitive. Over the years, successful applicants within the General Category had an average CGPA of 83% - approximately 3.8 - with an LSAT score of 166. the CGPA and LSAT are given equal weight and the personal statement is also factored into the admissions decisions. CGPAs have ranged from 76% to 90% and LSAT scores can range from 156 to 180."

The old forum had a thread each year on discretionary applicants who were successful and scores did not deviate too much for the medians in the General category.

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 2