Chances for U of T? LSAT 167, cGPA 3.56, B3 3.80

lazerfire

lazerfire
  • Applicant

Some other possibly relevant info:

- I graduated with two degrees simultaneously, one in computer science and the other in biochem.

- My academic record is fairly erratic. Because of a program switch halfway through, as well as my dual degree situation, I took 6 years to graduate, and I have one semester (from my second year) with a 2.4-average with no good excuse.

- I've worked as a software dev for a few years since graduation, but not for long enough to apply as a mature student.

I know these kinds of posts are ultimately exercises in futility, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts. I seem to be a tad below average numbers-wise, but still middle of the pack. For that reason I'm considering rewriting the LSAT in January.

Edited by lazerfire

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

You have a pretty good chance. Are you dead set on U of T? If you are aiming for Big law, the placement rates are high at many schools, and many lateral opportunities in the early stages of your career as well. 

lazerfire
  • Applicant

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say dead set, but from what I understand, U of T opens doors in the US that other Canadian schools are less likely to open, and that's a consideration for me.

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, lazerfire said:

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say dead set, but from what I understand, U of T opens doors in the US that other Canadian schools are less likely to open, and that's a consideration for me.

Even at U of T, only 10-20% of the class land Big law jobs in the US and many of them are JD/MBAs and students performing in the top of the class. This past year has seen a lot of Canadian Big law lawyers move to the US, UK, and internationally. If you land a Big law job in Canada, it is not that difficult moving to US Big law with 1-5 years of practice experience in corporate/commercial, M&A, securities, financial services, etc. You also do not need to work on Bay Street to make these transitions as I have seen Big law lawyers in Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, etc. go internationally. So if you do not get into U of T, I wouldn't sweat it, because Canadian Big law can get you to the same place. 

All that being said, if you are dead set on US Big law, you should apply to US law schools. Attending a Top 30 school in the States would increase your chances of landing a US Big law job than attending any Canadian law school.

Edited by Darth Vader
This past year had a lot more U of T students land US Big law jobs than usual but we do not know if this trend will continue in future years.

cherrytree
  • Lawyer

Your LSAT and GPA are not far off from the medians of the first year class admitted in 2021, and I think your work experience in software development would be looked upon favourably in the process. Overall you should have a decent shot.

I agree with the points Darth Vader made about receiving legal education where you intend to practice law. There is absolutely no need to overemphasize or rely on the supposed door opening effect that a UofT Law degree will have in whichever US state, unless you are sure about practicing corporate commercial law and know for sure that you will not change your mind, that aspect should be way down on the priority list of factors to consider as you assess which law school(s) would be the best fit for you.

Edited by cherrytree

lazerfire
  • Applicant
5 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Even at U of T, only 10-20% of the class land Big law jobs in the US and many of them are JD/MBAs and students performing in the top of the class. This past year has seen a lot of Canadian Big law lawyers move to the US, UK, and internationally. If you land a Big law job in Canada, it is not that difficult moving to US Big law with 1-5 years of practice experience in corporate/commercial, M&A, securities, financial services, etc. You also do not need to work on Bay Street to make these transitions as I have seen Big law lawyers in Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, etc. go internationally. So if you do not get into U of T, I wouldn't sweat it, because Canadian Big law can get you to the same place. 

All that being said, if you are dead set on US Big law, you should apply to US law schools. Attending a Top 30 school in the States would increase your chances of landing a US Big law job than attending any Canadian law school.

I didn't know there was that much international mobility, especially from non-Toronto markets. That's definitely something I'll keep in mind.

5 hours ago, cherrytree said:

Your LSAT and GPA are not far off from the medians of the first year class admitted in 2021, and I think your work experience in software development would be looked upon favourably in the process. Overall you should have a decent shot.

I agree with the points Darth Vader made about receiving legal education where you intend to practice law. There is absolutely no need to overemphasize or rely on the supposed door opening effect that a UofT Law degree will have in whichever US state, unless you are sure about practicing corporate commercial law and know for sure that you will not change your mind, that aspect should be way down on the priority list of factors to consider as you assess which law school(s) would be the best fit for you.

Good food for thought - thanks.