If you have an LSAT score, and you submit your application, can you still take another LSAT and update your score?

saythename

saythename
  • Applicant

Out of curiosity, for example, if I were taking the October or November LSAT, and submitted my applications by Nov 1st (due date), is it ok to take the January LSAT?

Is there a big risk? (other than not being considered for "early admissions")

Would I need to contact the schools to ask that they refrain from assessing my application until the new score comes in or will they automatically see that I have another test scheduled? Is this normally frowned upon/discouraged or does it not matter much?

Thanks for the help! 🙂 

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

I know for Ontario schools there’s an option to fill out a future test dates section (in OLSAS). My understanding was that schools would generally wait for the that score specified in OLSAS. I would imagine schools outside of Ontario would have a similar process and so you shouldn’t need to actively alert them, but I would just double check if I were you. 

I would caution any applicant from banking on a January score because seats are getting filled by this point. 

DanaeOkay
  • Law Student

It really depends on the school! Most schools have you indicate whether you plan to take future LSATs, but some schools will evaluate you based on your November score, and if they don't admit you, evaluate you again when your January scores comes out. Other schools will just put you on the bottom of the pile until your January score comes out (which is not ideal). If a school doesn't let you indicate future LSATs/you decide to take another LSAT after you submit your application, you HAVE to let them know, otherwise they won't pull your January score. I would focus on schools that will look at your November score as well as your January score so you don't get left behind. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Articling Student

Also, if you take the January LSAT, you are bolstering your application for next year (if it comes to that).

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

I'm not planning to rewrite in January,  but if I somehow decide to do so later on, will Ontario schools still assess the January score? Anyone knows the answer?

jessbased
  • Applicant

Email schools you want to apply to and ask to make sure. 

I have a relatively competitive score already for most/all Canadian schools so I emailed schools asking if they would review my application even though it indicates I will be writing in January. Some schools said yes they would still review my application before then and if I am not admitted will review my application again after my January score is released but other schools said they would not review my application at all until my January school is released.

Thrive92
  • Applicant

For some schools, they specifically mention this hypothetical situation in the application and urge you to email them at a specific email address should this be the case.

I am not sure if it is frowned upon or discouraged, but considering the fact that some law schools provide this info even before an applicant submits his/her/their application, I can assume that it happens more often than not.

aire
  • Applicant
On 10/25/2021 at 2:13 PM, jessbased said:

Email schools you want to apply to and ask to make sure. 

I have a relatively competitive score already for most/all Canadian schools so I emailed schools asking if they would review my application even though it indicates I will be writing in January. Some schools said yes they would still review my application before then and if I am not admitted will review my application again after my January score is released but other schools said they would not review my application at all until my January school is released.

Which ones said they would review your application? 

• Like 1