Canadian School, US Bar Exam

Xxyz

Xxyz
  • Law Student

I was reading through Queen’s viewbook, and it states that JD grads are eligible to sit the bar in NY & MA. This may be a dumb question, but do other schools allow you to do this as well? Other than the dual JD of course. Thought this seemed like a cool opportunity. 

epeeist
  • Lawyer
10 minutes ago, Xxyz said:

I was reading through Queen’s viewbook, and it states that JD grads are eligible to sit the bar in NY & MA. This may be a dumb question, but do other schools allow you to do this as well? Other than the dual JD of course. Thought this seemed like a cool opportunity. 

This is misleading (Queen's, not you, though I'm sure other law schools say similar stuff). It's not the law school that allows this, it's a few US states that allow foreign law school graduates (or at least from reputable countries/systems?) to do this.

My knowledge is NOT recent so don't rely on anything without checking yourself, but while most states require an ABA-approved law degree, a few states allow foreign law grads educated in the common law (no QC grads except McGill) to write their bar exam. California is similar, a Canadian law grad can't write directly as in NY, but once admitted anywhere (including a Canadian province or a state like NY) they become eligible to write the "attorney" exam in California. Some states also have state-approved (not ABA-approved) law schools also, FYI and California is one of a few allowing private study under a lawyer or judge also.

Note that, unlike an ABA-approved law school graduate, one would be limited because reciprocity between states generally requires having that ABA-approved law school degree, not just being admitted in another state.

EDIT: Again my experience not recent, and qualifications change (e.g. I had a friend who became a solicitor in England and Wales when it was as easy as writing an exam even as a non-resident...), hence my warning not to rely upon my or anyone else's posts, but I'm admitted in NY as well as Ontario, and graduated from Queen's.

Edited by epeeist
  • Thanks 2