Will taking 3 courses in one semester of undergrad hurt my law school application?

Coffeefan

Hey everyone, I am currently an undergrad student, and due to personal issues, I am contemplating dropping one of my courses this semester (I’m currently taking 4 classes and if I drop a course it will bring me down to 3, subsequently changing my status from full time to part time). I am going to go back to being a full time student next semester, so I’ll potentially only be a part time student for one semester. Also, just for context I am planning on applying to Ontario schools. 

I wanted to see if anybody here has been in a similar position and to get more information on whether dropping from full time to part time for a semester will affect my law school application when I apply? Thank you. 

Edited by Coffeefan

ClarkGriswold
  • Applicant

tl;dr: I don’t think course load is typically a deal-breaker for applicants in the eyes of an adcom, but be mindful that it impacts every student uniquely and each school weighs this requirement differently.

At select schools it might impact the calculation of your GPA - if your combined course completion for an academic Fall/Winter year is under 8 courses, that year will not be used in your calculated B2 at Queen’s. For example, taking 3 courses this semester and 4 courses next semester would place you below that 8 course combined Fall/Winter term threshold for this year. 

Some other schools might give a slight preference to students with a heftier course load, whether that be in terms of a “full course load” (5 courses/term) and/or a “full-time course load” (4+ courses/term). I believe Western is one of these schools per their Admissions FAQ. 

Course load preferences at Canadian law schools impact every applicant differently. Consider Students A and B that I’ve made up below, and how their course loads impact them uniquely at Queen’s:

Student A:

- 1st year GPA: 3.8 (10 courses), 2nd year GPA: 3.8 (10 courses), 3rd year GPA: 3.8 (10 courses), and 4th year GPA: 3.8 (7 courses). They completed three Spring/Summer term courses throughout their degree.

- Student A’s B2, both with and without the 8 course minimum, is 3.8.

Student B:

- 1st year GPA: 3.3 (10 courses), 2nd year GPA: 3.5 (10 courses), 3rd year GPA: 3.7 GPA (10 courses), and 4th year GPA: 3.9 (7 courses). They completed three Spring/Summer term courses throughout their degree.

- Student B’s B2 without factoring in the 8 course minimum is 3.8, but if you factor it in, their B2 is 3.6. 

Edited by ClarkGriswold