Has anyone over hear did a JD from Australia?

Goku560

Goku560
  • Applicant

I just found out that University of Melbourne in Australia offers JD program to international students. Has any one gone to Australia did a JD and then came back to Canada? If so how was your experience? What was the whole process like and was it easy to become a Lawyer in Canada if you did JD in Australia. Others can also chime in and give thoughts about what they think about this?

Here is a link to the website if anyone wants more information about University of Malborne JD Program: https://study.unimelb.edu.au/find/courses/graduate/juris-doctor/

Edited by Goku560

Goblin King
  • Law Student

The conventional wisdom is that if you would like to practice in Canada, it is always best to go to a Canadian law school. Reasons being: 

1. With few exceptions, int'll schools have less brand recognition in Canada. Melbourne is a great law school based on the cursory google search I just did, but I don't think it would be an exception.

2.  Canadian schools give better access to Canadian recruits and networking opportunities. 

3. It's best to learn the law of where you'd like to practice. 

4. If you go to an it'll school, you'll have to go through the NCA process. 

5. It will likely be more expensive going to Melbourne than any Canadian law school. 

6. Less applicable in this case, but there is a perception that people who go to foreign schools were not competitive applicants in Canada. 

If you want to live abroad for a bit, I'd recommend teaching English or trying to find other work overseas. I would not recommend doing an expensive professional degree to experience another country. 

• Like 1